Drobo

HDDs Speed vs Green. (New Drobo FS Tomorrow )

Greetings!

My Drobo FS will be delivered today and I’m looking for what hard drives I will pop in it to start with, picking up two drives. I reviewed this document http://www.drobo.com/products/choose-drive.php and it seems like both would work but I’m trying to find out what end users would suggest for us.

Here are the choices (this is the section I edited):
WD20EARX Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
WD30EZRX Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB SATA 6.0Gb/s IntelliPower 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
WDBAAY0020HNC Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Any feedback would be great! Thanks.

-JesseT

The Caviar Green 2TB is either a WD20EADS or WD20EARS
Those drives are fine with Drobo. I have 18 of them running nicely across two Drobo v1’s, a Drobo S Gen 1 and a Drobo S Gen 2.

That said, other forum users have reported success with the Hitachi drives, so it’s kind of up to you I guess.
In the case of the Drobo FS, the limiting factor on speed is still the Drobo itself, rather than the drive.

I’d lean toward the 3TB Hitachi drives if you need the additional storage space, otherwise I’d stick with the 2TB WD drives.

What bhiga said. The DroboFS will bottleneck the drives, so choose them based on how important running cool is versus the extra capacity. The stock fan should keep a full complement of 7200rpm drives cool enough, but cooler is always better for electronics’ lifespan.

Fantastic, I think I will go with the Hitachi then. The room it will be in does get pretty warm already at times so there was a concern over the temp but I guess we will see.

Thanks for the feedback!

I had some older Hitachis that cooked themselves pretty good in a Drobo V1, but that chassis had notoriously weak cooling, and those Hitachis were hot runners overall.

Unless the Hitachis are really cheap I’d go with the Greens…

Well I found these locally:
WD20EARX Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
WD30EZRX Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB SATA 6.0Gb/s IntelliPower 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
WDBAAY0020HNC Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I am ok w/ 2tb or 3tb drives and I think I will pass on the Hitachi drives after considering the heat risk.

What do you all think would be the best choice for reliability and compatibility? (Or is there one of these drives I should over all avoid?)

Thanks for the feedback everyone it has helped a ton so far!

I have had the WD20EARS drives in for a while, two since January 2011 and two since July 2011. Just had to RMA one of the January drives due to a failure. It’s the first drive that’s failed on me for a long time. When I did the online RMA it seemed like there was a known problem because the site said something about “upgrade”. Replaced that drive with a 3TB WD30EZRX, and have since replaced another 2TB with another WD30EZRX. The drives “just worked”, no issues at all. You do need the right firmware to support the 3TB drives, but at least in the Drobo V2 once you have that it’s seamless. The rebuilds onto the 3TB drives are inordinately long though, about 3 days per drive!

[quote=“JesseT, post:6, topic:10105”]
Well I found these locally:
WDBAAY0020HNC Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive[/quote]
Any of those should be fine. The last part # is for a retail box, which will likely have a WD20EARS or WD20EARX (or possibly a WD20EADS if it’s older) drive inside.