Drobo

getting back root account

As root (via ssh), I edited /etc/passwd and put semicolon in front of root thus disabling root account.

Login later as user, can’t do much anymore, and there is no sudo command! How do I get my root account back?

I assumed I would be able to use sudo as I do not like to have root account enabled…

EDIT: To make matters worse, I cannot see droboshare on my network anymore and cannot connect to it from OS X (all Mac network here). When I try to connect using Finder by entering IP, it says “you have no permission to connect”. I still can ssh to it though as user, but not as root…

Hope I did not stuff up the Droboshare (Drobo works ok with direct Firewire connection). Is there a factory reset on Droboshare?

Seems solved the problem myself. All I had to do was to download Droboshare 1.1.2 firmware again and manually install it.

Will have to be more careful with /etc/passwd file from now on…

its still handy for people to know that this problem can be relatively simply solved, so thanks for posting that you fixed it :slight_smile:

Yes, no problem.

I still do not like having root account active. If someone knows how to implement sudo (if it is possible) and if Droboshare can be recognised by OS X with the root account disabled I would feel much safer…