Drobo

Gen 1 and my 3 TB mistake

Here’s what happened.

Needed more space. Saw a deal on 3TB drives. Installed one. Everything looked good. After a few days things went funky and then I realized my Gen 1 Drobo was still on 1.3.0 firmware which does not support 3tb drives. Drives was showing as a 2.19tb drive but everything was reading and writing correctly but getting a funny light show from the drobo.

Ordered a new drobo and drives so I could do a full backup before moving forward. Of course I should have done this a long time ago but here we are. Before I have a chance to backup the drobo it goes goofy and start to reboot on me. As soon as it mounts to my system it reboots. Keep in mind it worked fine for a week or so except for the light show.

Pulled the disk pack and was able to update the firmware to 1.3.8 but I haven’t installed the disk pack yet.

I do have access to another Gen 1 Drobo that is running 1.3.7 BTW.

What should my next steps be?

-Lucas

telephone support[hr]
telephone support

I thought Data Robotics was no longer supporting Gen 1 Drobos.

oh hang on - i was confused because you talked about firmare 1.3.0 not supporting 3TB as if a higher numbered one did

there isnt a firmware for gen 1 which supports 3Tb is there?[hr]
oh hang on - i was confused because you talked about firmare 1.3.0 not supporting 3TB as if a higher numbered one did

there isnt a firmware for gen 1 which supports 3Tb is there?[hr]
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/506/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyMjUxMzQzNS9zaWQvbUlTN1JnS2s%3D

no, there is no firmeware version which supports 3Tb drives on gen 1… thats your problem!

i’d call support and see what they recommend[hr]
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/506/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyMjUxMzQzNS9zaWQvbUlTN1JnS2s%3D

no, there is no firmeware version which supports 3Tb drives on gen 1… thats your problem!

i’d call support and see what they recommend

hrm… I thought that’s what they were saying here.

http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/506

yeah thats the same link - you see how the list of supported drobos only goes down to gen 2?[hr]
yeah thats the same link - you see how the list of supported drobos only goes down to gen 2?

Drobo Gen 2: Firmware 1.4.0 † *

For Drobo 4-bay 1st Gen please read the following KB articles: KB 594 and KB 598.

Makes it sound like it does but they don’t come out and say it either way.

the two articles they link to are the end of life announcement and the final 1.3.8 firmware

only 1.4 and higher supports 3tb

you MAY be able to salvage stuff if your new drobo can read your old disk pack, but i really wouldnt count on it

and i’d definitely call support first and see what they recommend

the two articles they link to are the end of life announcement and the final 1.3.8 firmware

only 1.4 and higher supports 3tb

you MAY be able to salvage stuff if your new drobo can read your old disk pack, but i really wouldnt count on it

and i’d definitely call support first and see what they recommend

Will do. Thanks.

and be sure to let us know how it goes