Drobo

Found or Not found?

Hello all,

I have an interesting issue to share… maybe someone would have some insight on how to fix this.

First, using the screen capture below (using Network Magic 5 from System 2), I will explain how my network is setup:

Network is configured as such:

System 1 (Desktop) - Windows 7 64b “lostmule-4Q-PC”
System 2 (Laptop) - Windows 7 64b “lostmule-2QPC”

A- Router (1Gig):

• Internet Modem (Cable)
  • Vonage,
  • System 2,
  • (to a PowerEthernet):Switch 1 (GigaBit),
  • Switch 2 (GigaBit),
  • **Borther printer was removed from the net

B- Switch 1 (Gigabit):

• PS3,
  • SlingBox

C- Switch 2 (Gigabit):

• Router
  • System 1,
  • Drobo Pro1

Problem:

1. The only way for me to access DP from System 2 is by going through System 1; yet System 1 have direct access to DP and DP Dashboard.

2. Drobo iSCSI is assigned an IP manually (because a second DP is being planned for the near future).

3. Using iSCSI Initiator Properties on System 2, the iqn.2005-06[…]datarobotor:drobopro.tdb105[…] have a status: Inactive. On System 1, the status of the same iqn.2005-06[…] is Connected.

4. When I try to connect from the iSCSI Initiator Properties, I get a ‘Authorization Failure’.

Before I reset everything to the Factory Default (minus DP because I do not wish to loser the data on the HDs), would you have a suggestion to make DP not only visible but also accessible?

Warm regards,

Eric
p.s. I can provide more screen capture but I do not wish to clog this forum (unless it is better for looking at my screens).

How many volume(s) or Smart volumes you have created on ur DP?

One- “L:”

That’s the problem. U cannot have multiple hosts accessing the same volume or LUN concurrently. The DP, DE (i.e. Elite) and I believe B1200i still don’t support SCSI3 persistent meaning even if you are able to grab the LUN, you will corrupt the NTFS.

Righyo… I used to have a “HP-Media Vault” (prior DBP) and from the router, I was able to see it and access it through all the computers when it was mounted using the virtual path like “\mediaX\blah”. What you are saying is this can’t be done?

the HP media vault is a computer - like a server? you can have hundreds of computer accessing a single server - the server handles ho is accessing what files when

the drobopro is a SINGLE disk (in this case) you can only have one computer accessing a single disk at any given time - otherwise what if two computers both tried to save a file in the same place at the same time?

its more like a USB disk drive - you can only plug it into one computer at a time

what you want is a drobopro FS - that is a server in its own right and many computers could access it simultaneously

Argh… It appears that I was incorrectly advised by the seller … wish I would have found this out before I made the purchase… noted for the next system … Thanks for your prompt info.

Not familar with HP Media Vault and what I was saying is current Drobo iSCSI models DO NOT support multiple iSCSI hosts accessing the same volume/LUN. Yes, you can re-enable file shares to achieve what you are trying to do but you might as well connect the DP directly to ur host via a crossover cable. I’m also using a WRT610N at home but mine only has 5 RJ45 connectors but your diagram has 8!

Not familar with HP Media Vault and what I was saying is current Drobo iSCSI models DO NOT support multiple iSCSI hosts accessing the same volume/LUN. Yes, you can re-enable file shares to achieve what you are trying to do but you might as well connect the DP directly to ur host via a crossover cable. I’m also using a WRT610N at home but mine only has 5 RJ45 connectors but your diagram has 8!

In fact I have 5

2 of the connectors are hooked-up to switches.

I will now investigate your solution to see if I can fix my bug (I just don’t want to have a computer on all the time to act as a ‘server’.

Media Vault (HP)