Drobo

First gen drobo goes all red after 4.5 years of loyal service

I have the a 1st gen Drobo that I got in september 2007 and this is the 1st problem that I have ever had with it, so not bad going there.

drobo dashboard 1.8.4 (can’t go higher as i have a 1st gen drobo)
mac OS 10.7.2
drobo firmware 1.3.7

I recently booted it up and the top dive bay is blinking Red and the rest are all solid red. I take that the drive with a blinking one needs replacing and the solid red lights mean don’t remove under any circumstances. I replaced the top drive with a drive 2x its capacity, just in case it matters the drive was borrowed from the IT company next door so assume it was windows formatted, I assume that dose not matter. after replacing nothing happened it just carried on with a blinking red light on the replaced drive and solid red on the rest.

My understanding is that even if one of the drives did fail I could still go on accessing my data but it would not be protected until I insert a new disc. At the moment i can’t get access to data and when the plug the USB in i get a system message that says “The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer”, i always click Ignore at this point that seems the safest option.

drobo dash board tells me that “too many hard drives have been removed. Please re-insert the removed hard drives” after putting in the new drive and seeing nothing happen I put the old drive back in. I still have the “too many hard drives have been removed. Please re-insert the removed hard drives” should pull all the drives out and put them back in?

I have the option to update my firmware but i assume that is not a good idea if I am having issues

bit confused as what to do

contact support adn see what they say

it may be that the drobo has failed

flashing red is failed disk

but solid red replace this drive immediately (DO NOT DO THIS ITS OBVIOUSLY NOT CORRECT IN THIS CASE)[hr]
contact support adn see what they say

it may be that the drobo has failed

flashing red is failed disk

but solid red replace this drive immediately (DO NOT DO THIS ITS OBVIOUSLY NOT CORRECT IN THIS CASE)

Please open a support ticket right away and be sure to include a diagnostic file. Firmware 1.3.7 is the last firmware update for gen1 Drobos, so don’t update it. You will also need to stay on Dashboard 1.8.4. It would be safest to put the Drobo into standby mode and disconnect the power after you generate the diagnostic file, leaving all of the original HDs in the unit as is.