Drobo

File Sync/Copy

Hi, been a while since i have asked the question (and I probably know the answer)…I was wondering if anyone is any closer to making an app that allows you to sync your drobo with another network storage device, either local or remote, without involving a pc.

I know about rsync but i really cannot get the hang of the command line stuff and also i cannot get rsync on my other device.

Maybe lets start with your inventory - what is your other device?

The other device is a WD My Book World Edition (White Light)

I’m interested in this as well. What would be nice to be able to do, is attach a USB hard drive to my Netgear N600 router, and be able to backup a share to it periodically (maybe every evening, would be nice).

I believe this is what j_gry is asking for as well.

Add easily into that and you would be correct

I believe the roadblock is the same as always - the SMB software on the Drobo does not have the pieces necessary for mounting another share. Without this, you’re not going to be able to rsync or copy to something else, as you don’t have anywhere to sync or copy to.

Maybe you could get one of the plug computers (like a TonidoPlug, http://www.tonidoplug.com/tonido_plug.html ) and use that as a server to do this. They are minute power consumption and you could plug it in anywhere you have a network jack. They run Linux underneath, and you could mount both your devices there, then use rsync to sync them.

I have two Drobo FS systems. Is there a DroboApp that can sync two Drobo FS systems? I’m currently using GoodSync to keep them synchronized.

(hi spiney, quick info - can you edit your link to remove the closing bracket when you get a chance?) :slight_smile:

Done. Sometimes browsers or forum software do the right thing, sometimes they don’t I guess…

just out of interest sake (and i know the probable answer) but is this tonido software not something that we could put on the drobo and miss out the plug?

http://www.tonido.com/software_what.html[hr]
just out of interest sake (and i know the probable answer) but is this tonido software not something that we could put on the drobo and miss out the plug?

http://www.tonido.com/software_what.html

I’m sure someone could find a way to do that.

My thought was that as this is a full-featured Linux computer that both the Drobo and the other non-Drobo file share could be mounted by it, then it could run the synchronization software to keep them mirrored.

I appreciate your suggestion and if this is able to be done using this device, I am thinking of making the extra investment.

However, it does get my back up a bit that I have invested in a reasonably expensive NAS device and expecting all bells and whistles and then having to spend additional money on something that I would have thought should be standard software in a NAS.

The FS, especially without people like Ricardo’s input, seems pretty much a waste of space. In theory, I didnt have to spend that money on a FS in the first place. I could have bought this tonido plug and bought a straightforward Drobo![hr]
I appreciate your suggestion and if this is able to be done using this device, I am thinking of making the extra investment.

However, it does get my back up a bit that I have invested in a reasonably expensive NAS device and expecting all bells and whistles and then having to spend additional money on something that I would have thought should be standard software in a NAS.

The FS, especially without people like Ricardo’s input, seems pretty much a waste of space. In theory, I didnt have to spend that money on a FS in the first place. I could have bought this tonido plug and bought a straightforward Drobo![hr]
(and secondly, why have i started to repeat myself in my posts?)[hr]
(and secondly, why have i started to repeat myself in my posts?)

(i thought i was seeing double) :smiley: