Drobo

Farcical Drobo KB answer - Why does Drobo Dashboard say it can't protect my data?

OK, so Drobo Tech Support have stated that there’s a issue with Drobo Dashboard (not the only one of course).

But this KB article take the p*ss:
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/427

[quote]
I had a drive failure on my Drobo storage device that was configured for Dual Disk Redundancy. Why does Drobo Dashboard tell me it can no longer protect my data?
Answer ID 427 | Updated 05/24/2011 11:34 AM

When your Drobo device has a drive failure, Drobo Dashboard immediately goes into a relayout mode in order to protect your data. The relayout process is indicated by the drive lights blinking green and yellow. Once the relayout process completes, Drobo Dashboard indicates that your data is protected. You can tell when you have a failed drive by the drive light blinking red. This means you should remove the bad drive and replace it as soon as you can.

Depending upon the amount of data on your Drobo product, relayout can take quite a bit of time. If, during relayout, another drive should fail (two drive indicators blinking red) and you had the device in dual disk redundancy, the relayout process will take even longer.The time remaining shows up on the Status page in Drobo Dashboard. [/quote]

A complete non-answer to a legitimate question. Especially when your in the data protection “Beyond RAID” business.

Yup, total crap. I submitted feedback on it. No change, of course.

this has already been discussed extensively, including alternative wording.

what it really means is that due to a disk failure the data is no longer protected to the standard that you selected, since a disk has failed its now down to single disk redudndancy rather than the dual disk that it is configured to.

but that does not fit in with the simplicity & traffic light indicators which drobo have chosen to loose, so it simply states the same warning whenever it does not have the level of redundancy that you have asked for it to have.

this has already been discussed extensively, including alternative wording.

what it really means is that due to a disk failure the data is no longer protected to the standard that you selected, since a disk has failed its now down to single disk redudndancy rather than the dual disk that it is configured to.

but that does not fit in with the simplicity & traffic light indicators which drobo have chosen to loose, so it simply states the same warning whenever it does not have the level of redundancy that you have asked for it to have.

That’s all well and good, but the KB article has plenty of room to explain the issue properly and instead chooses to ignore or pretend like Drobo has done nothing wrong in the wording of the warning. In fact, the dashboard should be able to communicate this equally easily, but chooses not to.

Simplicity is a nice goal, but not at the expense of correctness. This is data protection we’re talking about.