Drobo

Failed relayout and crashes : Drobo-S is the answer !

[quote=“geeji, post:11, topic:646”]
Actually, I am close to thinking DRI made a design error : even the base Drobo should have 5 disks slots, including 1 always free during normal operations. This slot would be used only for inserting a new disk during relayout. The removal of the disk to be replaced by the new one would be done ONLY after relayout is notified as successful, thus avoiding 1 week or more of non-protected data (furthermore during the most stressful activity period).
For sure, you get the same benefit from Drobo Pro, but the price point is totally different and largely inadequate for individual users. 4 disks Drobo was right where it should be, which made its success, except that relayout failures are frightening and seem to be far from exceptional, considering the number of forums entries on the subject, although some had happier ends.[/quote]

Somebody (Jennifer ?) at DRI must have had a good laugh if (s)he read my post of 2 weeks ago : the 5 slots, 2 failures capability is exactly what is corrected in the newly announced Drobo-S !!
I guess we also got our final answer about unreliable relayouts : DRI will not make any serious effort to correct the unreliable relayout of the Drobo since they prefer to sell the new Drobo-S… at twice the Drobo price :-(.
That is definitely pricey for only one more slot : +25% would have been fairer than +97%, especially to correct what DRI now implicitly recognizes as a design flow.

At the minimum, they should offer a (very) large discount to original Drobo owners, which supported DRI with their good money those last years and discovered the hard way Drobo was not as good DRI marketing literature would like us to believe…
That would provide DRI with the added benefit of fast ramp-up and plenty of early beta testers…
Keeping the flawed Drobo as a cheap entry point may create them problems down the line when too many customers irretrievably loose data during failed relayouts.

I am very disappointed DRI is not rewarding early Drobo adopters by not even making available an improved Drobo software, including the self-healing “scrubbing” software available only on Drobo-Pro and Drobo-S.
Also, I see nothing in the Drobo-S datasheet about improved relayout time, which probably means it is as bad as ever : the additional “S” is definitely not meant for speed…

Although I like the Drobo concept, I will give long hard thoughts about upgrading to Drobo-S at that price or switching to an other RAID : at that point I have lost a lot of the confidence I initially had in the Drobo, and the lack of candor of DRI on those issues did not help at all.

I couldn’t have agreed more on the price of the DroboElite. That’s definitely overpriced and why 1Gigabit but not 10GB interface! I hope they are 10GB capable cuz even my newly purchased notebook is 10GB ready! I was also very disappointed to find out eSATA & RPS are still not implemented in the Elite. Not sure abt others, I’ll buy two or more DroboPro units instead of one Elite!
The DroboS is an entirely different animal. I like the DDR & eSATA. If the “S” is equipped with a single iSCSI interface, then that will be my dream machine. Guess I have to wait for DroboT or U series.
Btw, I guess we are the lucky one cuz our Drobo & DroboPro units have been well behaved. There are definitely some characteristics of the BeyondRAID that we have to continue to explore & learn but we like our Drobo, especially DroboPro. Hope the 2010 software release will improve.

actually the S is speed - its got a new marvel processor - i forget whether its 50% faster or 100% faster - but its definitely a huge improvement and you should see that reflected in the rebuilds

Definitely. First, we’ve been told by the DRI’s marketing department how wonderfully safe the (original and V2) Drobo is. Now we’re being told it’s “quite safe” but for the ultimate safety we have to pay twice as much. There shouldn’t be any differences regarding data safety other than the ones implied by the hardware characteristics. I still believe that DDR is perfectly feasible with the old Drobo hardware - harder to justify given the 4 bays, yes, but this should be up to the user to decide. But the “data scrubbing” technique is an ABSOLUTE MUST and just HAS to be implemented in the next firmware version for the “old” Drobos as well. Otherwise, DRI would act just like, let’s say, mobile phone manufacturers, whose several device models are different only by some minor external details and a firmware feature set. And when it comes to the secure data storage, that’s just NOT THE WAY TO GO.

@DRI: we know that so called “scrubbing” is a feature of the firmware which performs some maintenance routine in a spare time and I would be seriously dissapointed if you’d thought we don’t. I expect this feature to be retrofit to our “plain” Drobos as well, otherwise you’d lose fair part of your credibility by telling me that the Drobo is the best data protection I could possibly get just yesterday and then implementing another FIRMWARE-ONLY data protection routine only in the 2x-priced model. That would be just wrong.

[quote=“geeji, post:1, topic:740”]
At the minimum, they should offer a (very) large discount to original Drobo owners, which supported DRI with their good money those last years and discovered the hard way Drobo was not as good DRI marketing literature would like us to believe…
That would provide DRI with the added benefit of fast ramp-up and plenty of early beta testers…[/quote]

Well, when I wrote that, I missed the “generous” discount of DRI Customer Loyalty Program : 50$/799$ is 6%…
Not sure it will generate much “loyalty” there…
If the 200$ limit had been applied to Drobo-S too, THAT would have been showing some true loyalty to DRI early customers, while leaving DRI a very comfortable +50% margin over Drobo V2 !

shrug I, for one, am happy to get a rebate at all these days, especially for tech. Netgear didn’t give me anything for upgrading from 100 Mbps to GigE. Then again, I have made good use of the lifetime warranty on ProSafe products. :slight_smile: