Drobo

eSata Problems

I am using a Drobo S with a newlybuilt PC and connecting the eSata through the Gigabyte UD7 motherboard. Without the Drobo connected it takes about 1 minute to boot up; with an eSata connection to the Drobo S, it takes about 5.

More importantly, though, when the PC goes to sleep it turns the Drobo S off. I have to shut down the PC and reboot the Drobo to get it back which makes automated backup problematic.

It works fine on USB, boots up much faster and stays on.

Is there a solution for this available or pending?

Regards,
Murray

The slow boot is likely because the system is trying to boot from the eSATA drive (Drobo) - check your BIOS settings for drive boot order and put the OS drive first.

On the eSATA sleep, I’m not sure. Check the eSATA controller in Device Manager to see whether it has Power Management enabled. Even with a USB connection, the Drobo should go to sleep when the PC is put to sleep and wake up when the PC is reawakened. If it doesn’t, then your PC might be configured for S1 instead of S3 suspend…

Thank you for your reply, Bhiga.

I checked out the boot sequence and for hard drives that was (1) SSD C Drive, (2) single non-RAID drive, (3) Drobo, (4) “Bootable addin-cards” so I don’t think that was a problem. I seem to have removed the Drobo from that but it still took 6 minutes to boot up.

I looked for eSata controllers in Device Manager but couldn’t see anything that seemed to fit. The manual says the eSata controller is built into the “JMicron JMB362” chip, so maybe there’s no control for it there.

While I was doing this, the Drobo also dropped off after bootup.

But you started me thinking on what I could check on the PC. I haven’t had it for long and I got someone more knowledgeable than me to build the components so I just presumed it was all set up and everything should just work. So I fired up the motherboard utility disk, downloaded all the chipset drivers and enabled a fast boot option. Now it boots up in 50 seconds with the Drobo connected by eSata and the Drobo has stayed on through numerous rebooting cycles. Probably all I needed to do was download the drivers. I’ll find out for sure in the next few days.

Regards,
Murray

Sounds like you’re making good progress there Murray.

Quick Boot (what most BIOS menus call it) skips some tests during the boot sequence. Sometimes these tests include scanning some of the peripheral buses, so that can help when external devices take a bit to respond or you have a number of them.

Some newer machines (mainly netbooks, I think - my Eee PC 901 has this) also have a “Boot Booster” function which caches the system configuration and skips all the checks (detecting hard drives, etc). Makes the boot to OS almost instant, but it also means you have to go back into the BIOS if you want to say, boot from USB since it doesn’t re-scan on boot, it won’t “notice” the USB device during the boot process.

Brandon

… or just turn off the fast boot and reboot …

My PC went to sleep tonight and the Drobo stayed on - so all appears to be up and running and working fine.

Thanks for your assistance, Brandon

Regards,
Murray

Great to hear!