Drobo

Eating Hard Drives

Purchased a 5N in 2015. Three weeks ago I got a RED light on Bay 2, a three year old Western Digital RED 4TB hard drive. I took it out and ran diagnostics on that device for three days. Works.

So I went ahead and replaced it with a NEW Western Digital RED 6TB hard drive. 3 weeks later it is blinking red in the same slot as the one I replaced in July.

Before I spend money that I need for rent, what do you think I should look first? Thank you.

It was recently discovered the WD EFAX drives are SMR drives, therefore we no longer recommend the WD EFAX 2,4 or 6TB drives for use in Drobo.

For a list of compatible drives, see:

Can I really use any hard drive I want in Drobo?
https://www.drobo.com/storage-products/choose-drive/​

For additional information on the WD EFAX drives:

Thank you for your quick response. No, I don’t have any of the drives that are NOT recommended. The thing is this. After I replaced the 4TB RED with the 6TB and tested it, today I put the old 4TB back in and Drobo likes it now and Data Protection is in Progress. Also, of the six bays, I have 4 WD Reds, two 4TB and two 6TB drives; all the same model #s. I don’t know how to approach Western Digital about a defective drive if it is in fact not defective. Again, thank you.

Maybe the backplane is causing issues. When data protection is finished test this by first TURNING IT OFF, then remove and rearrange the drives, then TURN IT BACK ON. It does not matter which slot the drives are in as long as they are kept together as a pack. If the problem returns to the same slot then I think we found your problem.

** Don’t try moving them around while it’s on however **

No, I moved the 4TB drive and the orange light moved with it. Thank you. Not sure about the WD 4TB issue, the drive has worked fine for 5 years; but diagnostics doesn’t show any issues.

The 6TB was the Recording Technology that WD changed on their regular RED models. I was unaware there was a WD Red Plus that fixes the WD Red SMR issue.

Kudos. WD is replacing the drive. I didn’t know WD issued a PLUS version that addresses the SMR & CMR Technologies.

Thank you, Valorie. No one sung that song better than Amy Winehouse.

I have a similar situation with a 5N2. It is a couple months out of warranty. I did not opt for DroboCare. Seemed expensive relative to cost of 5N2 and drives.

I have a Drobo Gen 2 and a Drobo FS, all still in operation with no issues.

All my Drobo’s act as local NAS archives.

The 5N2 was populated with 4 8TB Seagate and 1 5TB Seagate and mSata cache.

The Seagate drives were all from peeled USB3 drive enclosures.

Things were working fine for a year. It had been set for 2 drive failure protection.

Last week it indicated the 5TB drive needed to be replaced.

I went to Costco and got another 8TB backup drive, I formatted it, peeled it, and swapped it in where the 5TB had been. The Drobo initialized it and then began the rebuilding process. That finally completed in a day or so.

Then it started eating drives.

I exported the event log. So that can be seen. I also have the email alert messages.

The unit is turned off now.

I am not sure what I should do.

Suggestions?

Dennis

I recommend you start a new thread instead of riding the coattails of this one.

That being said… I think clues to your issues may be in this thread, as Seagate is known for producing SMR drives.