Drobo

Dual NIC cards and Drobo Pro disables first card?

I have a strange issue going on where I am running dual NIC cards because the built in NIC is not gigbit on my older machine.

When I fire up the computer in the morning there are times that the Drobo Pro seems to disable my first card that I use for internet access.

Now I am not sure if its the Drobo Pro per say but the card attached to the drobo pro is active, enabled and i can access the Drobo pro. Where the other card is disabled and i cannot get out on the internet.

I confirmed this by enabling the second card and then again have internet access - the strange part is there are times when this card cannot be enabled at all and I literally have to manually shut down the Drobo then it seems to unlock that card from being disabled.

I have gone as far as replacing cables and the one NIC card with no luck so I am assuming that its software or settings based at this point…

The iSCSI interface all looks correct and the unit is set for its own IP.

Any ideas?

Are both NICs (integrated & add-on dual-port) using the same subnet?
Running WinXP, Vista, Win7 or W2K3/W2K8 server? I suspect u r running Win7. Correct? Is the xdsl modem acting as ur DHCP & Gateway server?

Ok - let me see if I can answer all of that…

Both NIC’s are add on with a single port plug on the back

One is using Auto DHCP to talk to the dlink router that then is attached to the comcast router.

I am running WIN7 64bit

Pretty sure I left something you might need out…

Most likely you have IP6 enabled on both NICs. Right? Have U tried IP4 instead?

If IPv4 doesn’t work, in the list of Network Connections, Alt-N, to bring up the Advanced menu, then go to Advanced Settings and make sure the NIC with the Internet access is highest on the list.

Ok - both do have IPv6 enabled but the setup on the NIC for the drobo is IPv4 - Should I be turning off IPV6 on the cards in the advanced area?

Also that NIC that is dealing with internet is at the top of the list then there is the second card then my sonicwall VPN then a remote desktop

Have you disabled flow control on the NIC that connects to the Drobo?

Not on purpose… should I?

Yes.

any hints on finding this specific setting…

Flow control is normally in the adapter’s settings, often on an Advanced tab, so either from Device Manager, or Properties it from Network Connections, then click Configure next to the adapter name.

Ok - so flow control is off - does not seem to help…

On the NIC with the Drobo - Should we be turning off the IPv6 options.

I recommend you start turning off all IPv6 for a try.
What’s the IP address, DNS & Gateway of ur DroboPro?
What’s the IP address (i.e. IPv4) of the NIC#1 Port#1 w/ the 1Gigabit of the Win7 PC?
What’s the IP address (i.e. IPv4) of the NIC#2 100Mbps of the Win7 PC?

All of the above connections are into the xDSL router right?

What’s the IP address, DNS & Gateway of ur DroboPro?

IP: 269.254.213.234
Sub: 255.255.255.0

What’s the IP address (i.e. IPv4) of the NIC#1 Port#1 w/ the 1Gigabit of the Win7 PC?

Obtaining Automatically

What’s the IP address (i.e. IPv4) of the NIC#2 100Mbps of the Win7 PC?

IP: 169.254.213.235
Sub: 255.255.255.0
No Default Gateway

If the DroboPro is connecting to your 1st nic, can you set the static ip of your nic instead of letting it run dhcp?

Should be 269.254.213.x, same subnet mask.

It is connecting to the second on the static manual IP