Drobo

Dropbear SSH Access

okay… been using the droboFS for a while… love the simplicity…

i installed the Dropbear SSH app and have been able to login as root and change (and retain the changed) password.

now, having root access is a security issue, and even i don’t like maneuvering through the file system as root. [color=#FF0000]Has any one been able to ssh into their drobo as a user they created through the dashboard?[/color] I did some searching through the forums and noticed others have problems with accounts they created through root and those accounts being erased upon reboot.

secondly, if root access is the only way, [color=#FF0000]has any one been able to use the GUI to SSH into their drobo???[/color] what i mean is, using Ubuntu (or other distro), use the “Connect to Server” command, and connect to the file system as root? every time i try, my connection is dropped. looking at the drobo logs, it shows “root attempted, failed, tried another user, failed”. what does work, i can ssh as root through the terminal and connect fine. i can connect to a smb share and connect fine.

why i want this, basically just a secure way to connect and browse the files on my drobo. i don’t like using NFS cause any one can replicate my ip address and gain access to my drobo, as well, the connection is not secure. and using smb… SLOW and connection not secure. alternative ideas welcome as well!!!

Sadly, Dropbear does not support SCP or SFTP, which is what Ubuntu is probably using to “connect to server”. I also have never gotten any users other than root to work, but I blame this mostly on the nightmarish user/pass setup the Drobo engineers hacked together (rewriting /etc/passwd every boot and every Dashboard connection is incompetent).

I have been able to get standard users to log into SSH once I edited the permissions and the home folder paths for each of the users, but the changes wouldn’t stick on reboot.

I have heard that there is a hidden .passwd file that is the “permanent” file and can be changed manually. I don’t know if this is the case, as I haven’t re-installed dropbear yet to test it.

Thanks for the reply… and yeah, i should have know better as I have read posts on here about sftp… guess this is another thing to add to the “wishlist”.

As for the users… i have not read anything about a hidden file, but maybe this is a “tech” support question I should push forward, then post here for all to see… unless someone else has done this… :open_mouth:

Again thanks for the replies…

I emailed tech support and this is basically what they responded with:

[quote]Thank you for contacting Drobo Support.

Their is no known way to create or login with a different username. Please logon to www.drobospace.com for support.
Thanks[/quote]

Guess it is just up to us :S

Yup, DRI’s standard response to any request about DroboApps.

Honestly, I got better support for hacking my Tivo than DRI gives for their official app platform - at least Tivo didn’t screw up the Linux foundation in such a way that prevents otherwise normal projects from working.

Disgraceful.

Dude, it’s an appliance not a server.

One sold with the side-benefit of apps - which you only find out after purchase are completely unsupported and in many cases unworkable due to boneheaded and frankly inscrutable problems with the underlying OS.

The web page says “an entire world of community-created and community-supported applications”. To me that doesn’t imply company support for the apps. I’m not sure how it implies that to you but everyone interprets things in their own way after all.

[quote=“rapier1, post:9, topic:2128”]
The web page says “an entire world of community-created and community-supported applications”. To me that doesn’t imply company support for the apps. I’m not sure how it implies that to you but everyone interprets things in their own way after all. [/quote]

Okay, riddle me this - how do I create a community supported app that needs multiple users when that support is broken by the Drobo nasd?

[quote=“rapier1, post:9, topic:2128”]
The web page says “an entire world of community-created and community-supported applications[color=#FF0000]*[/color]”. To me that doesn’t imply company support for the apps. I’m not sure how it implies that to you but everyone interprets things in their own way after all.[/quote]

[color=#FF0000]*[/color] That we promote, that we say are a great reason to buy our products, but yet when you go to use them after giving us money, we say, oh sorry, we don’t support those.[hr]

Umm… I’m guessing it’s not part of the specs required when drobo developed the box. There are a lot of embedded linux implementations that don’t support multiple users (most linux based routers for example). That’s the thing to keep in mind, this isn’t linux installed on a drive in a traditional manner you might be accustomed to. It’s embedded linux and, while I’m not sure of the totality of the differences, I know that there can be significant differences.

Now, it’s a shame that Drobo cannot do what you’d like it to do. Having this sort of functionality would be great. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t easily support it. Is that really the fault of Drobo that you can’t easily do something that falls outside of the specs?

Personally, I think its possible to do what you want. It’s just not done in a way that we are used to doing.

[quote=“diamondsw, post:10, topic:2128”]

[quote=“rapier1, post:12, topic:2128”]
Is that really the fault of Drobo that you can’t easily do something that falls outside of the specs?[/quote]

Yes, actually, it is. The multiuser stuff is all there as expected. You can even create users and they work. Until Drobo’s nasd overwrites the files on every boot and every use of the Dashboard.

That has nothing to do with “embedded linux” and “outside specs”, that has to do with Data Robotics programmers being asinine and overwriting a system file they have no business screwing with. Meanwhile, they’ve known about these problems since April/May 2010 (when the FS was released), and have attempted a couple half-assed solutions that mostly show they don’t know what the hell they’re doing. And now, no updates for six months. They just decided “we have their money, screw 'em”.

But please, continue defending DRI on something you haven’t even read the history on.

Don’t mind if I do. Personally, I think you just have unrealistic expectations. The DroboFS isn’t sold as an applications host. It’s sold as an appliance. It can run some applications but it is, in no way, a central part of their slaes pitch. Maybe you read it that way, but I don’t see how thats a supportable position.

It’s great that it can run apps, but that’s not why I bought it. I bought it because it’s an appliance and not yet another thing I have to play sys admin on. Seriously, I could have built a box for less money and possibly somewhat better performance and I could have built and run apps in a full linux environment. It wasn’t waht I wanted to do and I really, really, really don’t understand why someone would have gone the drobo route if a ‘real’ linux environment was that important to them.

So why didn’t you just build a real linux box and go that route if something like this was that important to you? [/php]

[php][quote=“diamondsw, post:13, topic:2128”]

Back to the original question, it seems there’s two things going on.

First, as a few people have pointed out, any users that are created when ssh’d into the drobo as root seem to get nuked by some startup script that overwrites the passwd files.

The second is that the users created in Drobo Dashboard are samba users which are different than full on system users. Samba by default uses it’s own user management system that is separate from those in /etc/passwd.

With the new firmware I seem to be able to log in via ssh as non root user now. Have you tried this with the new firmware?

Well… that isn’t exactly the whole truth. I still have the old firmware, and if you are careful about what files you edit and where, you can permanently change the root password (done that) and add other users (haven’t tried that, but there should be no reason why it wouldn’t work).

The trick is to edit the file that overwrites the system file. I’m not sure the DRI support people want this info to be spread willy-nilly (I can only assume that the number or people locking themselves out of their Drobos would skyrocket), but yeah, it is possible.

I just got my Drobo FS yesterday and I am only able to login with a non root user. No root access for me it seems. Does anyone know a way to reset the root user password, or what the root user password actually IS?

$ cat passwd root:$1$tfJ.FACI$jot2X81uIbnmoqEKOaqPi1:0:0:root:/mnt/DroboFS:/bin/sh nobody:x:99:99:Nobody,,,:/:/bin/false avahi:x:100:100:Avahi Daemon,,,:/:bin/false admin:x:1000:1000:Linux User,,,:/mnt/DroboFS/home/admin:/bin/sh $ cat .passwd root:$1$tfJ.FACI$jot2X81uIbnmoqEKOaqPi1:0:0:root:/mnt/DroboFS:/bin/sh nobody:x:99:99:Nobody,,,:/:/bin/false avahi:x:100:100:Avahi Daemon,,,:/:bin/false $ cat passwd- root:$1$tfJ.FACI$jot2X81uIbnmoqEKOaqPi1:0:0:root:/mnt/DroboFS:/bin/sh nobody:x:99:99:Nobody,,,:/:/bin/false avahi:x:100:100:Avahi Daemon,,,:/:bin/false $ whoami admin $

Have you tried sudo? Maybe you don’t need to log in as root.

sudo: not found
su: must be suid to work properly

my Dashboard user is not a real admin so I can’t add myself to suid group either.

Basically I do not have root access to the device I just bought.