Drobo

Droboshare - fast enough for iTunes movie & audio sharing?

I’m looking to move my iTunes library to being shared on my home network and already have a Drobo unit. I was wondering if the Droboshare device is viable for sharing a large iTunes library to an Apple TV,Xbox 360 etc as I’ve read a lot of postings from people commenting on how slow the Droboshare is.

My setup would have the Droboshare plugged in to the same Gig switch as the Apple TV and Xbox would be on, these would be the devices looking to stream video files, whilst the audio streaming would be done over the wireless connection from this switch.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

I’ve been using a Drobo + DroboShare as my main audio data store and streaming device over wireless and it is fine.

It is fast enough. I do this now. However, i would really recommend against it for the time being. My drobos/droboshare conk out when doing multiple i/o requests (such as maintaining a large itunes db), causing all sorts of mayhem with file locations and such.
And if you care about it, there is a lag time from clicking open on your remote device till the drobo spins up the drives from sleep to time out on the remote device. Another click usually gets you past it.

I don’t know if it’s the drobo unit itself or the droboshare, but I do have a trouble ticket in on the problem. If i were you, i’d skip the droboshare completely, and instead get a spare pc or even a cheap eeepc type device to share the drobo for you first. No guarantee you won’t have the same problems if it is indeed the drobo’s problem, but it will be a lot faster using fw800 and a hosted device.

DVD 1x transfer is 1.32 MiB/sec, and compressed audio bitrates are far less than that.

Given that DroboShare transfers 10 MB/sec, it’s more than fast enough.

I haven’t tried a lot of simultaneous access off my DroboShare, but I’ll give that a shot when I get home. I have a remote copy on the DroboShare going, so I’ll see how it performs given constant access from another user.

My Drobo (2nd Gen) + DroboShare seems to be going fine with a large but slow remote file copy (< 1 MB/sec), local TiVo download (~1.1 MB/sec), and playing 384 kbps MP3s.

These are from three separate endpoints as far as the DroboShare is concerned.

Thanks for the posts. Sounds like it might be worth trying then!

I get faster copy speeds using AFP instead of SMB as the file sharing protocol on the DroboShare. This is provided with the BackMyFruitUp package.

http://backmyfruitup.googlecode.com/

Try it yourself and let me know.

During the time I had a Droboshare, it was certainly OK to keep my Apple TV and iTunes libraries fed. My problem was always trying to get files onto it. Sustained or multiple transfers to the Droboshare were a big problem, as @glycerine says.

Like I said, try BackMyFruitUp… the transfer speed is faster… but then again, it sounds like you already gave up.

Definitely using AFP and not SMB for file transfer, SMB is completely borked, loads of dropouts etc.

I have been able to stream two simultaneous HD video streams using FUPPES (One 720p, One 1080p both with 5.1 DD) over Wireless N.
DroboShare is on a wireless N Ethernet converter to wireless N router hard wired gigabit to one PS3 and the other PS3 wireless N Ethernet converted. no lag skips or drop outs.

Still backup and file transfers are rather slow as this is not my ideal connectivity solution.

I’m curious… what bitrate are your streams?

Data rate is the key factor here as HD can be tiny or insanely huge depending on the compression.

The other factor for streaming is latency (consistency of data flow).

Depending on different combinations of Drobo & Droboshare firmware I’ve been getting anywhere between 2MB to 10MB a second. Right now on a new installation of Snow Leopard its around 2Mb for whatever reason. BUT, this is still more than fast enough to stream 720p video wirelessly to my Apple TV.

Doing a large backup of files of varying sizes (16GiB down to 1KiB), I see rates from 2 MiB/sec to 9 MiB/sec, and that’s on a 100Mbps network connection, so I may be hitting a ceiling on my network connection, but the 9 MiB/sec seems constant, so it’s difficult for me to tell in this configuration.