Drobo

DroboS or Drobo Pro...what to do with my 1GB HDD's

Hi Guys

so, no doubt like a lot of you with the Drobo 2g, you are thinking of buying a second Drobo unit, either for dual drive redundancy, or as a backup to your exisiting 4bay Drobo or both.

I’m in this position currently, and am finding after replacing 3 of my 1TB HDD’s with 2TB with the remaining 1TB to be swapped out early next year, that I’m trying to decide to buy the DroboS and buy new 2TB HDD’s for it, or buy a DroboPro and use my old 1TB’s, plus buy some more either 1TB’s or 2TB’s. I know my old 1TB’s are sunk cost, but has anyone run the economics to determine whether or not it would be more advantageous to buy a DroboPro and use your existing stack of 1TB’s rather than buy a DroboS with new 2TB’s?

Thoughts?

its just not just about the economics, since you have been upgrading disks its obvious you are consuming your storage, dont forget the maximum capacity of DroboS is 8TB/6TB SDR/DDR (ignoring the binary to decimal issue) and the 'pro is 14TB/12TB SDR/DDR

sure 3TB drives are pencilled in for march next year, but i bet they carry one hell of a premium.

personally i’d go for the pro, keep all of your storage in one place, with plenty of ease of upgrade

you’d kick yourself if you got an S then filled it up and needed a pro

DroboS w/ 7.44TB/5.26TB (SDR/DDR) and MSRP @US$799 w/ 5-bay eSATA, I 2nd Docchris recommendation. Go 4 the Pro! Reaons are as follows: a) You may need to cough up another US$50-100 for buying a PCI-e eSATA HBA cuz only the newer IBM/HP/Dell models have eSATA interface. The Smart Volume feature of the DroboPro & DroboElite is very useful and w/ the iSCSI interface and priced below US$1,300 w/ 8-bay, we are using the Pro to off load and offset some non-business critical usages of our SAN, an affordable SAN alternative. Having said that, the Elite is too rich for us!

Find someone who needs a RAID-0 speed and trade them a bunch of smaller drives for a couple of larger drives.

They’ll benefit by getting better cost-per-GB, and you’ll benefit by “consolidating” a bunch of smaller drives into a few larger more-usable (for your use) ones.

Alternatively, just sell them for cheap. People’s general perception makes them more likely to spend $50 on a 500GB or $75 on a 1TB drive compared to $150 on a 2TB drive.