Drobo

DroboPro losing windows shares

I have a DroboPro connected to a Windows 2003 server via iSCSI. Everthing works normally and I can setup Windows shares on folders on the Drobo and other networked workstations can access the files through the shares-UNTIL I reboot the server and then all my shares are gone and I have to set them up again.

Surely this can’t be normal??? This is going to be a major hassle if I have to do this everytime I reboot the server.

http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/309/kw/share/r_id/100004

I have never got FAQ to work. What works for me is to follow the link to the Microsoft site and use the CLI instructions. I have to do this on every reboot of my server. I believe this is an issue with the MS iSCSI Initiator…

This worked for me. The iSCSI connection for the Drobo was already set as persistent so I didn’t have to do anything there. I went to the Bound Volumes/Devices tab and hit the bind all button. Then ran the command line to make the Server service dependent on the iSCSI initiator service. After 3 restarts my shares are still intact.

same problem for windows2008r2 but the iSCSI does not look the same as on windows 2003 (no Initiator Settings tab), you will have to go to “Volumes and Devices” and use the “Auto Configure” or “Add” button to achieve the same thing after you use “sc config LanManServer depend= MSiSCSI” from cmd.

After applying the CLI workaround on my Win 7 installation it breaks the server service! It will NOT start the server service after applying the workaround and gives an error of “Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified” What is the workaround to give it persistent shares on Windows 7? Let alone how do I fix the server service breaking after applying the “sc config LanManServer depend= MSiSCSI” command?

Thanks

Chevyz

Just go to Services. There you can add and remove dependencies from the graphic interface. You should also make sure they are activated and at automatic startup mode.

To add your shares, just add a CMD file in your startup folder. The command NET SHARE sets up a share. The command NET USE will connect to a share at another computer.
This requires you to log in to make the shares active, but it works like a charm.

Sometimes it matters how fast you log in. Some services tend to start better if you wait some time before typing in your password.

um…NO, you CANNOT just go to “Services” and add or remove dependencies from the gui. Have you ever bothered to ACTUALLY add or remove a dependency from the gui? You can’t, you can only view what dependencies there are for the particular service you’re looking for. You can ADD them from the CLI by using commands like “sc config LanManServer depend= MSiSCSI” but not REMOVE them through the CLI. When you use the CLI command it actually removes the other dependencies and replaces them with only the MSiSCSI dependency, thereby breaking it. What I did find after some more digging was that the only way to remove a dependency is from the registry.

found on the web:
[color=#0000CD]See MS KB #Q193888 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q193888/

The Registry subkeys for services are located in the following path and can control how services are loaded.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services<Service name>

To create a new dependency, select the subkey representing the service you want to delay, click Edit, and then click Add Value. Create a new value name “DependOnService” (without the quotation marks) with a data type of REG_MULTI_SZ, and then click OK. When the Data dialog box appears, type the name or names of the services that you prefer to start before this service with one entry for each line, and then click OK.

The name of the service you would enter in the Data dialog box is the exact name of the service as it appears in the registry under the Services key.

When the computer starts, it uses this entry to verify that the service or services listed in this value are started before attempting to start the dependent service.[/color]

BTW the “server” service is actually called “LanmanServer” in the registry

soooo, the skinny of this situation is that if you’re running Windows 7 DO NOT USE DRI’s solution of using the CLI to make the MSiSCSI service wait for the server service to start. It WILL break it! I’ve personally tried this on two Win7 installations. On my second Win7 installation that does NOT have a Drobo hooked up to it, it will STILL break the server service if there is not a Drobo hooked up to it at all. I hope that this helps others in the same situation.

Chevyz

BTW Thanks for your prompt answer there Jennifer…

I would also like to point out that KB is specifically for Windows Server 2003.

I was not aware of any problems with shares on Win 7. There have been no cases in our support queue for that issue.

Chevyz - can you set MSiSCSI as Delayed Start?

You can start the MSiSCSI and the LanmanServer the quick and dirty way by using NET START commands in a cmd file in the startup folder. It is not a nice solution but a workaround. First set them to start manually. You can also stop services with the NET STOP command.
This will require you to log on first and it is a major drawback, especially if you are in a domain.

It might work to set a Scheduled Task to start the service a minute or two after the computer starts?

I still think the proper way to do this is to use windows built in dependencies for the service. why create workarounds thats just over complicate the whole matter?[hr]
chevyz, i think there is something wrong with the configuration for you LanManServer, dont let the errormessage fool you…

If you are familiar with windows registry, could you please take a look on the folowing key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer
and there you should have a “DependOnService” does that key exist and does it contain anything?
if its not there, just create a new string value key, and in the value data put the following:
SamSS
Srv
MSiSCSI

yes all items on a new line. and sure, if the key excist but has no values, just edit it and put that stuff in there…
does that make your computer work better? and yes, you have to restart the machine for to see if LanManServer is running properly.