Drobo

DroboFS/Mac permissions issue

I’ve been trying and failing to get Crashplan to access my DroboFS. I reinitiallised my FS, and changed the “Public” share name to something more meaningful via the dashboard.

The Drobo mounts fine. Yet if I do a MacOS “get Info” on it, the permissions pain shows “custom access”, with the name “everyone” and permissions “no access”. If I try to change the permissions to read/write via the pulldown, it doesn’t stick. Maybe this is why crashplan won’t see the share?

Is this “no access” permissions normal for the FS on a Mac?

Chris

I went ahead and checked my shares, and they likewise show the same “Everyone/No Access” as their permissions. Despite this, I have full read/write access. For what it’s worth, I see similar access on other shares I mount. Since the host is controlling read/write permission, I suppose you can stretch to say it makes sense - but it is misleading.

I don’t know anything about CrashPlan (other than hearing good things about it), but network volumes don’t obey the same filesystem semantics as a local hard drive. I’ve run into issues with getting rsync to work properly to a network share, so it doesn’t necessarily surprise me that other intensive file backup/restore software has issues as well.

[quote=“diamondsw, post:2, topic:2401”]
I went ahead and checked my shares, and they likewise show the same “Everyone/No Access” as their permissions. Despite this, I have full read/write access. For what it’s worth, I see similar access on other shares I mount. Since the host is controlling read/write permission, I suppose you can stretch to say it makes sense - but it is misleading.

I don’t know anything about CrashPlan (other than hearing good things about it), but network volumes don’t obey the same filesystem semantics as a local hard drive. I’ve run into issues with getting rsync to work properly to a network share, so it doesn’t necessarily surprise me that other intensive file backup/restore software has issues as well.
[/quote][hr]
Thanks. That helped me understand. For info, I discovered that Crashplan will see the drobo if it’s mounted via SMB (smb://10.0…) but not if it’s an afp mount. Of course, the finder will see it either way.