Drobo

Drobo V2 proving problematic under OSX Lion

Hi

I seem to be having intermittent problems with my Drobo V2 since upgrading to Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion).

When copying a lot of files to the Drobo everything seems to slow down and eventually cause the Mac to ‘hang’.

If I reboot the Mac, the Drobo does not attach until I remove its power plug and restart it, then it connects and seems to work okay, until the next time.

Both Drobo and dashboard are at latest revisions.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

Robin

I got the same problem with drobo v2 and lion. Never had that problem with snow leopard.

It looks like something on the drobo looses the firewire connection. Nothing helps except rebooting drobo.

The problem doesn’t exists with usb connection.

Well, based on Kurtg’s reply I moved my Drobo off Firewire and onto USB and it seems far more stable.

Certainly a little more slower but I think I made trade this beastie out for a Synology 4 bay NAS.

Not as straightforward to replace drives BUT they can manage 2-3 times the throughput of the Drobo. :frowning:

Robin

USB is slower, so I hope that drobo will release a fix for this.

Does anyone in Drobo read these posts?

Hmm… after seeing quite a few posts with a “problems with xyz after upgrade to Lion” posted here and there, I’d suggest changing the title to “OSX Lion proving problematic with pretty much everything” :wink: Why is that many Apple users are so reluctant admitting that something could actually be wrong with an Apple product and rather expect the world+dog to adapt to the new way Apple has messed something up? Oh wait, that’s impossible - their “magical, revolutionary” stuff “just works”… silly me :wink: Your Drobos were perfectly fine until you’ve upgraded to the next greatest Kitty OS yet you expect that Drobo will provide the fix ASAP like it was obvious Drobo’s fault. Come on - you really don’t see anything wrong with your reasoning?

Well I guess the fact that I have drives from at least 4 other manufacturers attached by Firewire to my iMac and they all work fine, lead me to the conclusion it is Drobo rather than Apple.

I could be wrong but evidence currently says otherwise!

Robin

I am sooo glad to find this tread. I was pulling my hair out with constant problems with my Drobo g2 since I upgraded to Lion. As reported above I would have intermittent errors (error -50, error-36) copying files to the Drobo (usually large # of files), Finder would freeze, sometimes everything would freeze, Drobo would not mount after rebooting. I thought it was a conflict with some other app, plugin, etc. I was troubleshooting all weekend trying to isolate the issue. I never thought to change from FireWire to USB connection. Fingers crossed - that seemed to have fixed my problem.

I have had this unit for about 2 years without any problems. While I don’t know who is at fault here I wished Drobo would acknoweldege the issue(s). Reading recent forum posts have me concerned. I have decided to change how I use my Drobo until I am sure the problems have gone away.

Jim

I’m just going to chime in and say that I’m having the same problem.

And to Zbig, Mac OS X Lion was in a developer beta for more than 8 months before Apple released. During that time, the expectation was that companies like Drobo would do heavy testing on their products with the new software, and fix any problems ahead of time.

I also have multiple other FireWire external drives, and nothing but the Drobo has any problems.

There are a few Console messages that get logged when the drive dies (the drive is mounted as disk2s3):

9/5/11 12:09:21.000 PM kernel: V1.4.0: TrustedData_driver_VendorSpecificType00::vendorSpecificPassThroughIn(): SendCommand failed, task not complete, serviceResponse = 1, TaskStatus: 2 9/5/11 12:09:21.000 PM kernel: V1.4.0: TrustedData_UserClient_SCSIType00::vendorSpecificPassThroughIn() returning failure from driver: 3758097084 9/5/11 12:10:51.000 PM kernel: V1.4.0: TrustedData_driver_VendorSpecificType00::vendorSpecificPassThroughIn(): SendCommand failed, task not complete, serviceResponse = 1, TaskStatus: 2 9/5/11 12:10:51.000 PM kernel: V1.4.0: TrustedData_UserClient_SCSIType00::vendorSpecificPassThroughIn() returning failure from driver: 3758097084 9/5/11 12:11:21.000 PM kernel: disk2s3: I/O error.

Perhaps more info on the connected devices would help.

I have my v2 Drobo attached to my C2D MBP running Lion Server via FW800 and it hasn’t had a moments trouble.

If we could try to narrow it down to a specific FW chipset, that might help.

BTW- any of the folks having problems also have any Logitech devices connected to their Mac? Mice, Keyboards, Harmony remotes?

Apparently, there is a conflict with 10.6.x and up (including 10.7) and the 3.1.x LCC driver. It seems to be affecting Bluetooth and FW devices.

It’s worth noting that problems only seem to crop up during heavy load. That said, I’m happy to give more information.

I am using my Drobo V2 with a MacBookPro5,3, 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo (purchase-time configuration). I have a single FireWire 800 port, and I don’t know how to get more information than that about the FW chipset.

More information about my model of MBP can be found here:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-3.06-aluminum-15-mid-2009-sd-unibody-specs.html

10.7.1 64-bit?

For more specific information on your FW driver/chipset

‘About This Mac’, ‘More Info’, ‘System Report’, ‘Software - Extensions’

There should be a few FW related drivers in the list.

AppleFWOHCI
IOFireWireFamily

I’m actually running 10.7.2 (dev beta) 64-bit, but the beta status of the OS really shouldn’t make a difference for this since 10.7.2 is largely networking-based.

[code]AppleFWOHCI:

Version: 4.8.9
Last Modified: 6/18/11 2:08 PM
Get Info String: AppleFWOHCI version 4.8.9, Copyright © 2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Kind: Intel
Architectures: i386, x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleFWOHCI.kext
Kext Version: 4.8.9
Load Address: 0xffffff7f812ae000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied[/code]

[code]IOFireWireFamily:

Version: 4.4.5
Last Modified: 6/18/11 2:08 PM
Get Info String: IOFireWireFamily version 4.4.5, Copyright © 2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Kind: Intel
Architectures: i386, x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Kext Version: 4.4.5
Load Address: 0xffffff7f80ee6000
Valid: Yes
Authentic: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied[/code]

That interesting because my iMac running 10.7.1 is using ver. 4.8.6 of AppleFWOHCI and 4.4.3 of IOFireWireFamily. The modified dates are the same (6/18/11), so I suspect the different version is related to being a different model, Macbook Pro vs. iMac.

has someone already heard something official about this ? Is it a bug in drobo firewire or osx lion ?