My Drobo v2 is connected via FW800 to a Mac Mini running OS 10.6.1. I’ve had it for a long time… probably over 1 year. Since the beginning, it’s been populated with four 750GB WD hard drives. I have Drobo Dashboard 1.5.1 and firmware 1.3.5
It came time to upgrade a couple drives, so I bought two 1.5TB Samsungs to replace two of the WDs. Monday night, I popped-out a WD and slid-in a Samsung. The relayout took a little less than 3 days, but the Drobo returned to a working condition. So, I replaced another drive.
This time, the relayout took about 2 days and finished sometime last night. When I woke up this morning, all drive lights were green and the blue indicators showed I had increased capacity. However, Drobo Dashboard claimed that there was no Drobo connected. Drobo was viewable in Finder, but browsing non-cached directories caused Finder to crash and I had to do a hard shutdown.
While the computer was off, I unplugged the Drobo even though it never went into standby. When I plugged it back in, it went through the routine bootup and then displayed no lit drive indicators, a blinking power light, and lit blue lights corresponding to my used capacity. I let it sit like this for 20 minutes. During that time, I could hear very infrequent hard drive access. Eventually, I unplugged and followed these directions to “reset” the Drobo.
At this point, the Drobo will boot and go into a relayout for about 30 seconds. Then, the drive lights and power light goes red and the Drobo reboots. It has repeated this sequence about 10 times before I decided to pull the power.
I am now faced with the possibility that my data is gone and the Drobo has acted completely contrary to the marketing material. Hopefully there is something I can do to recover the array.