Drobo

Drobo, Ubuntu and Leopard

hello everyone!

I own a both a mac and a pc. For various reasons I’ve migrated away from windows and haven’t looked back. I have an ubuntu machine acting as a server and would like to connect my drobo to replace the lousy raid setup that it’s using. I know drobo share will turn my drobo into a NAS quite easily, but I have access to both fw800 and gigabit ethernet on the server and would like to take advantage of the speed. I’ve plugged the drobo in and it reads just fine, but that’s it. I don’t like the idea of having FAT partitions on my drobo and would much rather have the current HFS+ running. Any successes with drobo running hfs on a linux machine? If not, what other options do I have?

Wikipedia:

“As with NTFS, there has been some success in porting HFS+ to Linux, at least in non-journaled read/write and journaled read-only mode.[9][10]”

I suggest you format it as ext3. I would not use HFS+ in non-journaled mode.

Please format in HFS+ with the appropirate linux driver installed, that way if you have an issue you can hook it up to a Mac for support.

Where would one get said linux driver? Could you point me in the right direction I am runnig Ubuntu 9.10 Kernel 2.6.31-20-generic-pae.

If you can read the HFS+ partition on Linux then you already have the appropriate drivers.

Linux won’t write to a HFS+ Journaled filesystem. What you need to do is make sure the disk is consistent (Verify Disk in Disk Utility on your Mac) and properly eject it.

Once you have done that you can connect it to linux and mount it with options “rw,force”. As long as the journal is empty (clean eject on Mac) the disk will mount up as read-write with the force option.

The only thing to be aware of is that since you are not mounting it as a journaling filesystem you have less protection if you loose power or your computer reboots, or otherwise does not cleanly unmount your Drobo. If this happens you will need to repair the disk in Disk Utility on the Mac to make sure the filesystem is consistent.