Drobo

Drobo Sync

I am completely new to Drobo, havent had the priveledge of having one in front of me yet. I am wondering if the Drobo Sync product is only available on the 800fs and higher. I have a situation where a fs would be justified for about 20 CAD users at a main office, but at two branch offices there are only 3 or 4 employees each - but they would love to have a “Wide Area File System” that would keep 500GB or so of CAD files in sync across all offices.

I just dont think I can get them to pop for an additional 800fs at each branch office. Is the Sync available in the Drobo S, maybe even as a licensing add-on?

Thanks in advance… really excited about trying out Drobo.

The drobo sync is only available in the b800fs & u r correct you need two of them to sync. You may want to take a look at some third party solutions such as the Pogoplug, especially the private PogoPC. The mileage definitely will vary and don’t expect speed cuz it largely depends on ur internet connection but it works & can be setup under 15-20 min.[hr]
The drobo sync is only available in the b800fs & u r correct you need two of them to sync. You may want to take a look at some third party solutions such as the Pogoplug, especially the private PogoPC. The mileage definitely will vary and don’t expect speed cuz it largely depends on ur internet connection but it works & can be setup under 15-20 min.

Thanks for your reply…If they were to get 2 800fs units would the sync in real time all day?

No chance that the Drobo FS itself has Drobo Sync does it? :S[hr]
Thanks for your reply…If they were to get 2 800fs units would the sync in real time all day?

No chance that the Drobo FS itself has Drobo Sync does it? :S

Nope, not even “almost real time” due to bandwidth issue. Even w/ the aggressive 5 min delta sync interval, we can only provide max 15 min RPO/RTO or in ur case 15 min if not more update cuz those CAD files should be relatively large and not much compression. AutoCAD right?

2nd question - DroboFS 5-bay w/ drobo sync. Not likely but that’s drobo’s marketing & product decision(s).

It’s abt time to have some new & faster models announced soon. That’s all I can say.

Yup, we use http://www.globalscape.com/wafs/ and it works - real time sync of changes and offers “collision management” whenever two people try to edit a file at the same time, but this particular client doesn’t have the budget for it. Plus it is a little bit more difficult to configure and manage.

Still i am intrigued by Drobo, I will continue to dig…