A friend of mine with a couple of second-generation Drobos asked me to test speeds of my new Drobo S. I did so over the weekend and thought I’d post my results there too.
I used CrystalDiskMark on two machines running Windows Vista and a variety of drives.
See below for a chart. A few notes:
- I ran all of the tests on a cheap HP desktop machine, except for the Seagate 160 GB notebook drive which is in an HP Dragon notebook.
- the Vantec NexStar MX enclosure has two 7200 RPM Seagate drives in it.
- the Drobo S has three 5400 RPM Western Digital drives in it.
- the Drobo S running on eSATA shows excellent sequential read speeds that are even better than internal drives. (Presumably that’s because of the Drobo S’s quasi-striping features?)
- sequential write speeds weren’t as good as internal drives, but was the best of the external drives.
- random read and write speeds weren’t as good as the Vantec enclosure’s speeds.
FWIW, of course.
Sorry about the width of that chart.