Drobo

Drobo Reboots After Extended Inactivity

My Drobo works fine except that if I don’t use it for an extended period of time (say 1 day or more) when I go to access the drive it always flashes the drive all red and reboots as soon as I begin trying to access folders on the drive. After the reboot I can use it as normal again and it works fine until the next time that I don’t use it for an extended period of time at which point it goes through the rebooting sequence again.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this annoying behavior? It did not do this before my upgrade to Windows 7.

My Drobo (v2) does the same thing and I’m running Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on a MacBook Pro. I think it’s “normal” behavior. I don’t keep mine plugged into my Mac all the time, so often when I go to use it for the first time in a few days, it takes 20-30 seconds to reboot and get ready to be accessed. If there is a way to avoid this long reboot sequence, I’d love to know how.

Same behaviour with mine (Drobo Pro, Windows 7 via iSCSI). My Drobo goes to sleep after a while and needs a lot of time to be accessible again (1-2 mins). Unacceptable. I hope this will be fixed asap.

sapienz

same behaviour?!?! they are complaining that their drobo reboots - you are complaining about a 30 second while while your pro spins up all 8 disks - thats totally different behaviour!

since you have a pro, just go into the advanced options and tell it to not spin the disks down - then it will always be instantly available, already fixed, and very acceptable :slight_smile:

Agree with Docchris - the pause on access after a time of no access is just spin-up. It is not a reboot.

My Drobo (v2) has been running 24/7 for over a month without any spontaneous reboots, so there’s definitely something out of the ordinary in thomashawk’s case.

@thomashawk, I would recommend running a chkdsk.

Did you have your drobo attached to your computer when you upgraded to Win 7?

I would also recommend opening up a support case. That is not normal behavior, the rebooting.