Drobo

Drobo "Loses" Files - Chkdsk Fails

Hello all.
I thought I’d throw my experience out there to see if anyone has had the same or similar - Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this or it can be addressed in a future firmware update. I did search through the forum to see if anyone had complained previously so I apologize if this has been answered before.
I have a Drobo v2 and currently have three drives configured (1TB + 1.5TB + 500GB). This issue is NOT related to the drives as I had a completely different, 4 Drive configuration previously (just had to get that out of the way as it seems folks jump on that and don’t let go!). My Drobo is connected to a Droboshare on my network and it is configured into a 16TB NTFS drive - latest firmware and all that.
Essentially what is happening is this. If I move files between folders, occasionally the files disappear - completely. However their space is still counted in the total. Eventually it gets to the point where I cannot even remove the folder that these files were in and I get an access denied or a corruption message. If I connect to my computer and use a third party recovery utility I can see the files and copy them off the Drobo - recovering the data completely. The first time this happened I backed everything up and replaced all the drives and set up my drobo again. I should mention that I would run chkdsk and the following output appears and hangs - FOREVER - both times. I have analysed the chkdsk process and it is literally doing nothing after it reaches particular files on the volume, once again, in both times this has happened.

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Drobo.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)…
10880 file records processed.
File verification completed.
0 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)…
75 percent complete. (11371 of 11904 index entries processed)
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 10720.
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 10720.

Once again I reiterate that this has happened twice to me and unfortunately has soured my view of this product. I thought the first time was an isolated incident - perhaps a freak issue - but no. I bought this product on the promise of reliability and stability - I understand that it is not to be relied upon solely which is why I never trust one device with my critical data. My opinions about technology solutions also carry weight with my clients and I have to say that I would be loath to recommend and Drobo/DroboPro solution to them just because of issues such as these. Not that I am all that and the potato chips, but sales are sales and a disappointing review/experience costs. And in reality this is one reason why I decided to purchase one in order to vet this system as an affordable solution for some of my clients. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can provide. I should point out that I really like the product, the build quality, the tech behind it, and do want to recommend this product to others. So thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

Ken

Do you have our DroboShare on a switch/router?

Have you tried different ethernet cables? Or a different switch/router? Or even directly connecting to the NIC card on your computer?

It’s not a drive issue and it’s more than likely not a Drobo issue but something happening on your network. There are many things that can cause corruption (ie bad ethernet cable, bad NIC card, router, etc).

I do have my droboshare on a Router. I actually replaced my router since the first issue happened and the problem repeated itself with the new router - which was a different manufacturer/model. Both times the Droboshare was connected directly to my router via ethernet. My new router has a USB connection directly into it and I’m going to see if this issue is a droboshare issue by connecting to the USB port on my router. Is there any diagnostics that I can perform to check the droboshare? I guess a follow up question is if this turns out to be a droboshare problem, what is my recourse other than scrapping an expensive piece of hardware?

Ken

You can open a support case.

Will do. As soon as this backup is done I’ll be putting it through its paces . . .

Ken

Ok. An update. It seems that the issue that I am experiencing is due to the Droboshare. I’ve hooked my newly reformatted Drobo to the router directly and so far so good. I’ve been moving and deleting files all day and performance seems to be better than before. I’m going to give it another day or so and then open a support case on my Droboshare and see if we can get to the bottom of this.