Drobo

Drobo iSCSI question (move from direct connect to switch)

I have a 32U Cabinet which contains a DroboPro that connects via iscsi directly to a 1U server running Windows Server 2012R2. This has worked perfectly for the last 6+ years and is working perfectly now. In the same rack is a 24-Port switch. The 1U server has (2) NIC’s and the cat5e cabling is as follows:

• Cable 1 end A connects to NIC 1 on the server (internet)
  • Cable 1 end B connects to the switch
  • Cable 2 end A connects to NIC 2 on the Server (iscsi)
  • Cable 2 end B connects to the DroboPro

Eventually I want to move the server outside the rack so my plan is to re-cable as follows:

• Cable 1 stays the same
  • Cable 2 end A connects to an open port on the switch
  • Cable 2 end B connects into the DroboPro

My Questions

1. If I move these cables as noted above, do I have to make any changes to the settings on the DroboPro or on the iscsi software on the Server?

2. I’m assuming I don’t need a cable from NIC 2 on the server to an open port on the switch.

Note 1 If I go into the Drobo dashboard > Drobo Settings > Network it is set to “Automatically configure” If I change it to “manually assign an ip address” the IP = 169.254.1.0 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and when i go into the iscsi software on the server it is configured to see the 169.254.1.0 address as well.

Note 2 In the next year I will replace my DroboPro with an DroboB810i but given it took a long time to get this set up the first time, the last thing I want to do is break it in some way.

Thanks so much

Max

Update : I could not get my server to talk to the DroboPro when the Drobo was connected directly into the switch. Whatever I did the iSCSI softwere in Windows would not see the Server.

• I tried both the automatic and manual setting in the Drobo
  • I tried connecting NIC 2 into an open port on the switch - no luck