Yes, you can move the Drobo between several computers without fear of data loss. Below are the safe shutdown/disconnect/connect procedures for the Drobo. Following these procedures will help prevent file system corruption on the Drobo’s volume(s). Be sure to put the Drobo in standby and disconnect it from the computer before doing any OS or software updates. In OSX, NEVER eject the Drobo’s volume(s). When transporting the Drobo more than a few feet, transport the unit and drives separately.
To safely shut down your Drobo in Dashboard, click on Tools on the left and then select Standby under the Device Operations section. Once in standby, it’s safe to disconnect the power to power off the unit completely. You can also shut down the computer, wait for the Drobo to go to standby and then disconnect the power cable to turn the unit off. The Drobo is in Standby when the drive lights go out and the power light turns amber.
To safely connect the Drobo to a computer:
- Connect the data cable to the Drobo.
- Connect the data cable to a port on the BACK of the computer. It cannot be connected to any front ports, hubs, monitors or keyboards.
- Connect the power cable to the Drobo.
To safely disconnect the Drobo from a computer:
- Put Drobo into Standby through Drobo Dashboard - Tools - Standby or by shutting down the computer. The Drobo is in standby when the drive lights go out and the power light turns amber.
- Disconnect the data cable from Drobo.
- Disconnect the power cable from Drobo.