Drobo

DROBO GEN 2 Snow-Lep to Lion

Hey Guys & Girls

Question 1
Could someone advise us with the correct way to move our drobo unit to a clean install of Lion OS X, Our drobo 2nd Gen unit is currently running under Snow Leopard with x4 2TB Drives filled up with data and we do not wish to lose our data on the move, so reformatting is not a option.

Question 2
Is it possible also to move the drobo unit 2nd Gen from Mac computer to Mac computer with out loosing any data, if so could you please explain how we should go about this.

I hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanx in advance.

drobo is just an external disk drive

in both cases: simply shutdown the first computer - unplug drobo - plug it into the second comptuer

voila :slight_smile:

drobo is just an external disk drive

in both cases: simply shutdown the first computer - unplug drobo - plug it into the second comptuer

voila :slight_smile:

thanx for the quick reply Docchris

So just to make sure this is correct we would need to install the latest drobo dashboard software on all our macs to see the drobo unit (we have 6 macs in the studio - Lion & Snow leopard OS)
Thus if we needed to move the unit this would allow us to plug the drobo in & out of any mac installed with the latest drobo dashboard software rendering us with no data lose and no need to reformat the Drobo 2nd Gen Unit when moving the drobo from computer to computer .

Yes, you can move the Drobo between several computers without fear of data loss. Below are the safe shutdown/disconnect/connect procedures for the Drobo. Following these procedures will help prevent file system corruption on the Drobo’s volume(s). Be sure to put the Drobo in standby and disconnect it from the computer before doing any OS or software updates. In OSX, NEVER eject the Drobo’s volume(s). When transporting the Drobo more than a few feet, transport the unit and drives separately.

To safely shut down your Drobo in Dashboard, click on Tools on the left and then select Standby under the Device Operations section. Once in standby, it’s safe to disconnect the power to power off the unit completely. You can also shut down the computer, wait for the Drobo to go to standby and then disconnect the power cable to turn the unit off. The Drobo is in Standby when the drive lights go out and the power light turns amber.

To safely connect the Drobo to a computer:

1. Connect the data cable to the Drobo.
  2. Connect the data cable to a port on the BACK of the computer. It cannot be connected to any front ports, hubs, monitors or keyboards.
  3. Connect the power cable to the Drobo.

To safely disconnect the Drobo from a computer:

1. Put Drobo into Standby through Drobo Dashboard - Tools - Standby or by shutting down the computer. The Drobo is in standby when the drive lights go out and the power light turns amber.
  2. Disconnect the data cable from Drobo.
  3. Disconnect the power cable from Drobo.

Thank you for the step by step guide on how to shut down the drobo unit, However we are still unsure of the following pending questions.

Question 1: do we need to install the drobo dashboard software on each computer before we connect the drobo unit (that is full of data we dont want to loss).

Question 2:
We use our macs a lot using widows 7. booting up thru Mac OS X boot-camp, Could you please tell us if we would be able to use & see the drobo unit to read & write to that was setup originally on a MAC which we formatted the Hard drives to MAC OS Extended Journaled & if so what is the best / safest way to set things up correctly without loosening any of our data on the drobo unit.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanx again in advanced

1. no - dashboard is only needed to manage/configure the unit and to recieve alerts - without dashboard the computer just sees it as a disk drive.

2. I do not think so - as i thikn bootcamps boots windows which cant address HFS - but I am not sure, I am not a mac guy

1. no - dashboard is only needed to manage/configure the unit and to recieve alerts - without dashboard the computer just sees it as a disk drive.

2. I do not think so - as i thikn bootcamps boots windows which cant address HFS - but I am not sure, I am not a mac guy

thanx for the quick reply

question 1 is answered

question 2 Could someone that has done this please assist
I do know that we can install mac drive onto windows 7, Can this software be used with a drobo unit formatted as MAC OS Extended Journaled and render no errors as we wish to have no data loss.

Mac Drive Software Link
www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive
Link:

On question #2, I can’t think of a reason why it would not work… but I don’t have the tools to try it, so I can’t say for certain.

You could also go the other way around and use something like NTFS for Mac OS and format the Drobo as NTFS.

the SAFEST option woudl be to leave it plugge dinto a Mac and share it over the network so the windows machine can access it that way - thats guranteed to work and wont risk your data at all :slight_smile:

OS X can read NTFS volumes natively.

Windows cannot access HFS+ volumes without add-on software.

You said this was a multiple machine environment. You would save yourself a LOT of trouble if you networked the Drobo.

I agree with bhiga above. I would install a NTFS driver for OS X instead of MacDrive for Win7.

Free version http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

Paid version http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

Paid and free are based on same open-source code, but the paid version is MUCH faster.

my friends HFS drobo was totally destoryed (the data on it at least) by using a mac NTFS driver and firewire on his macbook

i dont know if it was the firewire support under windows (which is terrible) or the driver he used

he couldnt recover anything

Exactly what docchris said. Network the thing. Repeatedly removing and re-connecting the Drobo is asking for disaster.[hr]

I don’t know why that doesn’t surprise me much. While the NTFS driver for OS X is supposed to just add support for a foreign filesystem, there is some ‘then a miracle occurs’ stuff happening on the Drobo.

I tried to use Blackmagic to benchmark my Drobo and it completely nuked the filesystem on the Drobo and I had to do a restore from backup.

Like it’s been stated before, the safest option is to network the drive.

Thanx for all the replies lots of love here in this forum i love it…

We are currently running the drobo 2nd Gen Unit on a Mac Machine that is running Snow Leopard & we are hoping to update it this weekend to Lion Osx & Windows 7 thru bootcamp. We will & always have shared the drobo unit thru our local network when the Mac is turned on which is normally all ways, The main concern would be when we fire this machine up in windows 7 using bootcamp. What are the best practices when we have a drobo 2nd gen unit plug into the machine that’s formatted under the MAC file system.

Pending Question
Would the safest option be unplugging the drobo 2nd gen unit before booting up into windows 7.

Thanx in advanced

[quote=“urban-samurai, post:15, topic:7770”]
Would the safest option be unplugging the drobo 2nd gen unit before booting up into windows 7. [/quote]
IMO, YES.

Shut the Mac down. Unplug the Drobo, then start up in Bootcamp.

You don’t have to unplug or shutdown the Drobo when booting into Win7.

If you have installed the Boot Camp drivers from Apple, you can read the HFS+ attached volume, just not write to it.

Oh my consultation! Mila Kunis is the sixtieth of an hour leading lady fashionable a generation that’s been had her can telephone antagonized added had frolicsome photos leaked onto the tangle. First it was Scarlett Johansson this dawn with the addition of those simple photos many hacker got bad of her ask.

Mila Kunis Naked|Mila Kunis Nude|Mila Kunis Hot|Mila Kunis Photos|Mila Kunis Fakes|Mila Kunis Nude

Thanx for this we have all answers covered now

Good to know. If you go that route (booting Win7 with Drobo attached) I’m curious to know whether you experience any boot delays with it attached vs without it attached.