Drobo

Drobo FS & Time Machine

Hello

I am running a Drobo FS with 4 x 2TB drives set to dual disk redundancy with a 1TB partition for Time Machine on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Everything was working fine for a few months but recently I have had much trouble with Time Machine.

First TM said the back up disk ran out of space unexpectedly and it would try and make space by removing expired backups next back up. But next back up it tried to back up my entire computer (240GB) when less than 10GB of data had changed.

Then it got into this situation where TM said it was backing up 120GB of 120GB and both these figures remained in sync and kept going up? This happened a number of times so I had to stop the back ups.

Today TM has been stuck on backing up 1.24 GB of 9.26 GB for hours with out these figures changing, so I again had to stop it, which took hours more to stop and clean up!

Looking at the Time Machine partition I notice it has created a .sparsebundle and a .tmp.sparsebundle is this correct?

I am wondering if I should delete both of these files and start again with Time Machine?

Any advice greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
David

Hi there.

Have you got everything up to the latest firmware and software?

Have you tried time machine to a separate local hard drive? Just to confirm the mac
is behaving ok. Also, if that works, you have a second backup copy that can be handy.

Then I would suggest you create a new partition and enable time machine on it.
And try that.

Later you can trash the old partition.

If the new partition does not behave, create a diagnostic file and contact support.

Hello

This all appears to have worked so far, however, I have not yet trashed the old partition.

So can I just confirm that to do so I simply select it in share settings, click the subtract icon and type erase in the confirm field?

Thanks,
David

If you are still running Snow Leopard you might want to hold up upgrading the firmware to 1.2.0 .

As far as deleting the old TM share that is what you do.

Philip

Thanks Philip

I am in no rush to upgrade to Lion until all the bugs are ironed out.

Maybe by 10.7.2?

David

Same problems now appear to have returned on the new partition!

Time Machine says it’s backing up 71.45 gig of 71.45 gig and both of these numbers are going up in sync?

This is what was happening before?

Thanks,
David

I have now downgraded my firmware to 1.1.2, deleted my partitions and built a new one for time machine. After restarting everything I had quite a bit of trouble logging back on as it it kept failing, but eventually I managed to re connect.

I am now running time machine from scratch on the new partition and it has been going for about 12 hours, however it has only backed up 45 gig of 298 gig. This seems very slow, I’m sure it was much quicker in the past?

David

Which OS are you using? This is way too slow.

philip

Hi Philip

I am running OS X 10.6.8. The back up is complete now and all seems to be well, however, I will have to wait and see how stable it remains. In the past the problems have started after I take my computer away for work and then come back home with a lot of new data on it?

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

Still find it odd that it took so long but at least it worked. I am not sure if I would trust it to do an emergency restore though.

When you downgraded to 1.1.2 from 1.2.0 did you lose any data?

Why 1.1.2 and not 1.1.1 as others seemed to have done?

Am still leary of my FS. When it works it’s great. The Lion thing has shaken me a bit. Never should have upgraded so quickly. I don’t know what I was thinking as I never put new releases on my working systems.

Philip

Hi Philip

1.1.2 was what drobo support sent me as I could not find anything earlier that 1.2.0 on the website.

Fingers crossed for now and hopefully all the Lion issues are smoothed out by the time I upgrade?

Thanks,
David

Ok, 2 weeks on and so far so good.

Time machine and Drobo seem to be playing nicely. Downgrading the firmware seems to have fixed the problems.

Thanks,
David

I am thinking of doing that but I have it running NFS really well so I don’t know if it’s worth the risk.

Philip