Drobo

Drobo FS File Sharing Specifications

My friend gave me an old Drobo FS. After resetting it, I wasn’t able to mount a drive from Windows 10. I then tried running net view on it and got the following error:

System error 384 has occurred.

You can’t connect to the file share because it’s not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747

I then enabled SMB 1.0 in Windows 10 and was able to connect to it. However, SMB 1.0 has a lot of security issues so I was wondering if it is possible to disable SMB 1.0 on the Drobo and have it use SMB 2 or 3 instead. I found some information online about the Drobo, but not much about what versions of SMB it supports, nor could I determine if it’s possible to disable SMB 1.0.

Here is what I did find (unfortunately you will have to google each one, as I’m a new forum user and am only allowed to post 2 links max):

• Drobo FS Data Sheet
  • Drobo Downloads
  • Drobo FS FAQ in the Knowledge Base

Hello
Any updates? is Drobo FS just support smb vers 1.0? Any specification dere?
Thanks in advanced.
Zovi

Basically yes, SMBv1 & AFP for apple devices, as for any updates, since it’s long out of support it’s rather like hoping some new feature would be added to Windows ME or 2000. The device was launched before XP was released even.

Thanks for the reply :+1:

Ok, didn’t know that my DroboFS is old like this. Got it second hand. Then i’ll stay on smbv1 for a wile…cause the DroboFS works perfect for my issues. It runs like an old tractor…not the fastest… but it runs! :blush:

I have a Drobo FS. I got it very shortly after it was released. It was released in 2010. SMB2 was released in 2006, with Vista (Server Message Block - Wikipedia).

I don’t think it would have been too much to expect Drobo to update the firmware to support SMB2 back when the device was still supported. At this point, though, there’s no way it’s going to happen.

By the same token, they had no imperative, EternalBlue the particular big hole in SMBv1 that causes the big desire for an update wasn’t released into the wild until 2017 I doubt Windows 10 would have dropped SMBv1 support without that exploit being found, whereas the FS was end of support in Dec 2014, so far as anyone knew during the supported life, there wasn’t a problem with SMBv1. Drobos use Linux under the skin, at the firmware level & SMBv2 support was incomplete for Linux till Samba 4.0.0, which wasn’t released till a month after the FS went end of sale.