Drobo

Drobo Dashboard keeps forgetting my Drobo's connected

Hi,

I’m a new Drobo user so apologies if this is a known problem. I’ve checked but I can’t see anything similar.

I have a Drobo 2 connected via Firewire to an Intel MacBook Pro running MacOSX 10.6.2. All Drobo-related software is the latest available - Dashboard 1.6.1 (1.6.23555) is installed on the Mac and the Drobo is running firmware 1.3.5 (1.252.21110).

Drobo is visible in the finder and I can browse files and upload content, but after a while the main Dashboard window will close to show the ‘No Drobo Connected’ message. The little Drobo capacity icon in the main menu bar also changes to the greyed out circle with a diagonal slash across it. However the Drobo is still visible to Finder and working!

The only way to get Dashboard back is to dismount the drive, unplug the cable and plug it back in again. Then Drobo remounts as normal and Dashboard starts working properly - until it stops again.

I’ve tried removing all Dashboard files and reinstalling from the version on the Drobo site, the MBP has been rebooted, but the problem won’t go away.

If there’s a solution out there I’d love to know more.

Thanks,

Mike.

Try a different FW cable/different FW port.
Make sure it’s a back port on the computer.

Also, running repair disk form disk utility.

Hi Jennifer,

Good news!

I’ve replaced the cable and had Drobo running for 24 hours or so without a single disconnection, so it looks like the cable that came with the Drobo was at fault.

Thanks for the quick reply - no I mean the BLINDINGLY quick reply. I’ve heard of responsive customer service, but you could only have beaten that if you employed psychics.

Mike.

how can the cable be bad if data can still be transferred?

When it was good, it was very very good, but when it was bad it was horrid!

~f

Cables can be flakey, meaning that they can work some of the time, but fail at other times. On USB cables it’s pretty easy to spot because you get transfer or connection errors reported. On network cables it’s a little more difficult as the network tends to correct the errors - things just get slower.

i’ll take slow and functional over fast and corrupt anyday thanks :wink: