Drobo

Drobo Dashboard 1.6.1 killed my Mac Mini's performance.

My Mac Mini has been unbelievably slow for a while and the culprit was ddserviced. It would jump to 100% CPU utilization for a few seconds and then calm down. Jump back up and then calm down. It killed the performance of everything on my Mac. Menus would take several seconds to display. I fired up Activity Monitor and the offending program was ‘ddserviced’. I did a google search for ‘ddserviced’ and while others had the problem also, no one knew the solution. After seeing ddinstaller_1-6-1.dmg in my downloads folder, I put 2 and 2 together and uninstalled Drobo Dashboard. My mini is just as fast as it was when I purchased it.

I’ve never had a problem with Drobo Dashboard until now.

Anyone else having this problem?

I absolutely am. And if the performance on my 8-core Mac Pro is this bad, I can hardly imagine how bad it would be on my Mac Mini. I’m reverting back.

Same here, 1.6.1 killed my system responsiveness completely so I reverted back to 1.5.1 and its running perfectly again.

I tweeted a warning yesterday to those that follow me to avoid 1.6.1. I few people have replied (that don’t follow me) that are having the same problems with DDserviced.

I too am having this problem with DDServiced on my iMac. Total CPU hog.

I am glad I checked the forums before updating to 1.6.1 :slight_smile:
Thanks for the collective warning, guys!

I have the same problem DDServiced on my iMac. It takes about 1 core at full on max level.
What the hell is development doing ? Do you actually test your releases?

Hi,

I faced the very same issues as you guys. The system is unbearable after 48H uptime. Google doesn’t know much about this process.
The longer the process ddserviced is up, the more and more CPU power it takes.
How patient are you is the question that determines how frequently you will reboot after installing 1.6.1.

It looks like 1.6.1 was very quickly released, and skipped through some steps of quality control.
The mac Community here is very badly served: between large bugs and lack of 64 bits support, we have to bare with sometimes less than the strict minimum.

Some here have piled up layers of drobo (with droboshare for example). By reading at their experience, it looks like Drobo reps are discovering the road with us, but are not very quick to respond.
I know it is not Linux that takes their ressources, so they must really be focused by windows users.

Guys, just remember: the next release is for us, the mac community.
Jennifer confirmed it on this thread: http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=238
Before Christmas: 64 bit support and hopefully the beginning of an era where fundamentals are stable.

Cheers

ok. that means one more month of seeing my CPUs about to explode on my iMac.
Where do I find the previous version?

I’m skipping dashboard for a while.

Either contact support and they should be able to supply you a copy or I have a copy which if you PM me your email addy I can send you.

Well, I’m glad to have finally figured out that this was also killing my mini’s performance. I love the whole concept of the Drobo, but the software has been, for the most part, utterly atrocious.

What interface are you guys using?

Using FW800 on my Macbook Pro (2.33Ghz 3GB RAM) and have no issues with performance at all. I keep an eye on my processes all of the time via iStat menus.

My question is - do you leave the dashboard up and running all of the time? if so, do you really need to? Thus far, I have only seen the need to run it when I first set it up. I can get size info and all from the finder info pane.

:-\

fw800. 10.6.2. services are running all time, no matter do you have software running or not.

congratulations Data Robotics, on new products !
can you now finally get your act together and provide update to dashboard? or is it just hardware business with no customer support?

http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/327

We are aware that this symptom is showing up with a few Mac customers and are actively working to fix it. A new release of Drobo Dashboard will be out shortly that addresses this problem. This issue affects all connection types.

In the meantime, if you need to use Drobo Dashboard, you can revert to version 1.5.1 of Drobo Dashboard. Please refer to our knowledge base article, What is the proper way to uninstall and re-install Drobo Dashboard on my Mac? to uninstall version 1.6.0 or 1.6.1. After you successfully uninstall Drobo Dashboard, install 1.5.1. You can get this version at: http://www.drobo.com/support/updates/dashboard/ The file you should download is: ddinstaller_1-5-19930.dmg.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I am experiencing the same issue on my Mac Pro. Interestingly, the issue is only via iSCSI. My firewire Drobo seems to not impact my system. I just posted about this over in the DroboPro forums.

System slows to a crawl after 24-36 hours of DroboPro connectivity with mouse and keyboard input issues, etc.

The only way I’ve solved it is to disconnect the DroboPro (connected via iSCSI over dedicated ethernet). I may have to try downgrading my Dashboard version.

It’s here: http://www.drobo.com/support/updates/dashboard/[hr]

I believe that canned response has been up since 11/23, and by the amount of forum posts I’d say the “few” is clearly understated… Did 1.6.6 fix anything relevant?

-Dean

Yes 1.6.6 fixed the previous issues.

Why is this not highlighted in the release notes? This is a major bug fix based on the forum posts and it isn’t mentioned at all in the release notes?

Hard to trust our data when the development process can’t even note major fixes when a version is released.

I just got 1.6.6 and it is working fine for me on a first gen Drobo on a Mac Mini w/10.6.2.

My one gripe is that Dashboard (1.5.1) never notified me of the update, even if I pushed the “Check for Updates…” button.