Drobo

Drobo Copy failing to copy subfolders

My (very) old Windows XP coputer died, but thanks to Drobo Copy all my critical files where backed up nicely on my Drobo.

Now I’m setting up my new Windows 7 64-bit computer and I’ve run into a strange problem. When I set up a Drobo Copy it seems to only copy the files in the “root” of the from folder (in this case my Opera mail folder), and fail to copy the sub-folders (status “incomplete” after running). When creating a detailed log I see that it’s getting “Access Denied” errors on the sub folders, but I have checked and tipple checked that there should be no permission problems. I am the owner of the files, and have all permissions, and the Drobo Dashboard is running in my user context, I even tried to grant the “Everyone” gruop full access to the relevant folder and all sub folders, but Drobo Copy still fail to copy anything other than the files immediately in the folder root, giving Access Denied on the sub-folders.

Any idea what is going on? Is there some comparability issue with Windows 7 64 bit edition?

I have a “standard” (4 bay) Drobo, not 100% sure if it’s G1 or G2 offhand, would it be worth a try installing the old version of the Dashboard maybe (the current version seem to detect and support my Drobo just fine aside from this Drobo Copy issue though)?

If your Drobo only has a USB port then it’s a Gen 1, if it has USB and FireWire it’s a Gen 2.

Have a USB port and two Firewire ports so a G2 I guess.

Anyway, I uninsatalled the dashboard and installed the version 1.8.4 one instead, and in that version Drobo Copy works like a charm.

Guess I could have tried to do a clean re-install of the newer version too, ran the diag tool and I see a lot of wierd stuff in the log file indicating that maybe the original install was a bit corrupted.

Think we can conclude that it’s some kind of bug or incomparability in the 2.0.3 version of the dashboard. I let it install the latest version when it detected the update and after that the problem was back. Drobo Copy jobs are unable to access sub-folders for whatever reason (saying “Access denied”).

So anyone else having similar problems try installing the 1.8.4 version seems to work.

I’ll inform Drobo support and see if they know about it.

Similar here

While looking for a solution I registered and found 3 threads with no way out of the problem.

The other ones ->
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2622
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2016

My situation:

As a HTPC-Owner I have many big files in achives. To keep the system working I prefer keep it simple solutions. So I decided for a Drobo S with either USB or eSATA, hoping the connection speed would be acceptable.

Vista x64 on my old mainboard was not able to see more than 2TB of the Drobo. So I decided to upgrade the whole system to Win 7 x64. Done, Drobo Dashboard formatted correctly and I started with backups. Keep it simple, so I preferred Drobo Copy and here the results, running in administrator mode over eSATA:

3 different Folders of 3 different HDDs:

a) 0.095 of 1.5 TB copied
b) 0.053 of 0.5 TB copied
c) 1.09 of 1.1 TB copied

In all cases Drobo Copy accepted subfolders, but for a) and b) the show was over after 2 and 1 of them. The rest of the subfolders came to “access denied” and the job stopped “incomplete”.
c) was different. Nearly all files and subfolders were copied, but in the last subfolder every file ended in “Drobo Copy cannot copy the file, error = 3”

My conclusion up to here, either a subfolder was completely copied or completely “access denied” except in c) where the last of many subfolders was accepted, but not the files.

Further “investigation” of Mac- and PC-user comments brought me to the persuasion, that Drobo Copy 2.x is unfortunatley not worth the risk of loosing my archive or parts of it. I turned automatic updates off and decided to let Allway Sync do the job. It has always done what can be expected of a good backup software, it’s fast and free for my needs and if not, I can upgrade to Pro for 30$.

Thanks
netnomad

Just a follow up here. I contacted Drobo support (basic e-mail, not DroboCare), they basically asked me to try re-installing a few times, which I did.

We did not find any solution, they ended up just giving me a free license for the Drobo PC Backup software instead. A bit overkill for my needs, but it works nicely.

I have the impression they are phasing out support for DoboCopy, read somewhere that all new Drobos are bundled wtih the PC backup software.

Wait, what? When we got our Drobo we got neither DroboCopy nor PC backup. What is the deal here… (How is Drobo PC Backup by the way?)

EDIT: Nevermind didn’t realize DoboCopy comes with Dashboard

According to this: http://www.drobo.com/resources/docs/QA-0037-00_drobo_pc_backup.pdf

[quote]Drobo PC Backup is included for free of charge with every Drobo, Drobo S, Drobo FS, and Drobo
model B800fs starting July 6, 2011. Any Drobo customer who purchased one of the above
products on or after July 6, 2011 is eligible to receive Drobo PC Backup at no charge. If you
purchased an eligible Drobo product on or after July 6, 2011 but did not receive the Drobo PC
Backup CD, simply register your Drobo to receive a free copy.[/quote]

If you didn’t buy after that date you can buy it at a discount until 30. September 2011 (or if DroboCopy doesn’t work for you I guess support might give you a free license as well, though I can’t say if that is common practice or not).

According to this: http://www.drobo.com/resources/docs/QA-0037-00_drobo_pc_backup.pdf

[quote]Drobo PC Backup is included for free of charge with every Drobo, Drobo S, Drobo FS, and Drobo model B800fs starting July 6, 2011.
(…)
If you purchased an eligible Drobo product on or after July 6, 2011 but did not receive the Drobo PC Backup CD, simply register your Drobo to receive a free copy.[/quote]