Drobo

Drobo Connection Problems, PLEASE HELP!! :(

hi,

i just unpacked my brand new drobo last night, dropped in 5 brand new 1.5TB drives, and installed the drobo dashboard software.

today, i got up expecting to digitize a bunch of video footage but instead i spent the day resisting the urge to smash my drobo with a sledgehammer…

i’ve had to overcome a ton of technical hurdles in the past 12 hours or so, but the main problem i’m having is that my drobo won’t stay connected.

or, more accurately: that drobo dashboard doesn’t THINK the drobo is staying connected… the drobo’s lights never falter, the brand new FW800 cable is not loose on either the drobo port or my computer’s port, the power supply is steady, and, most tellingly, the drobo remains connected in my Finder window. but drobo dashboard keeps losing contact with it.

at one point, i left the room with a fully connected and working drobo, and came back 30 minutes later to find that it had disconnected itself.

the drobo user guide and website offer no troubleshooting support for this issue beyond the easily identifiable possibilities i mentioned above.

yes, i have the latest software and firmware updates (although the first time i tried to install them i got a kernel panic…ouch…)

i am running Mac OS X 10.4.11 on a Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5. am i not equipped for drobo’s awesome power??

please please please help…i am at my wit’s end. thanks!!

Tommyrockum… Man this exact thing happened to me. Drove me nuts! I went out and bought a different FW800 cable (a good one) and to my disbelief, my problems went away… Going on 2 months now without a single connection issue.

I don’t remember the brand, but just keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Whatever you buy, just make sure its a flexible and forgiving cable. The problem with the stock cable that DR is sending out with the drobo is that it’s sooo ridgid, that I feel I could have easily messed it up if I moved it.

good luck!

Which Drobo did you get?

If at first you don’t succeed, try a different connection method for the sake of troubleshooting.

ran007 is very correct though - especially with Firewire, the quality of cable makes a huge difference.

tried a different FW800 cable. still dropped the connection (via dashboard…the drive remains in the finder, but dashboard won’t recognize it). as i tried to eject the drobo from the finder so i could shut it down, i got a spinning color wheel that would simply not go away.

now what…?

I’m assuming you have the Drobo S?

I would suggest opening a support case, but I do see you are on Mac OS 10.4.11. We don’t support 10.4.11 for the S.

Can you try the drobo on a mac with at least 10.5.X?