Drobo

Drobo and High Rez audio file storage

[size=medium][font=Times New Roman]Hello,

I am very interested in learning about Drobo products for a potential NAS style music “server” for very high resolution music files. As a dedicated classical music lover, numerous classical recording websites are offering download-able files called “Studio HD Masters” and can range in size for 1gig to over 3 gigs per file… these files are typically 24/192…

I am going to take the time to learn about Drobo and the world of NAS until the late summer (hopefully HDD pricing will drop back to pre Malaysian flood levels) so that I can embark on this with a solid knowledge base…

I appreciate any advice or feedback!!!

Warmest regards.

Mark W.
Austin, TX
[/font][/size]

Hi Mark,
I believe you are mistaken. The country hammered by the flood was Thailand where 60% of WD production & supply chain are located in the eastern part of Bangkok, Thailand. Not sure the price situation in other regions, but over here in the Orient, the price has already dropped to “almost” the normal level w/ plenty of supply. Well, Seagate & Hitachi! WD is still trying to recover to full production capacity.
1-3 Giga files are relatively small & all drobo models may be exept the 4-bay USB2/FW800 can handle them at ease.
Are U PC or Mac?

Hi Mark,
I believe you are mistaken. The country hammered by the flood was Thailand where 60% of WD production & supply chain are located in the eastern part of Bangkok, Thailand. Not sure the price situation in other regions, but over here in the Orient, the price has already dropped to “almost” the normal level w/ plenty of supply. Well, Seagate & Hitachi! WD is still trying to recover to full production capacity.
1-3 Giga files are relatively small & all drobo models may be exept the 4-bay USB2/FW800 can handle them at ease.
Are U PC or Mac?

My apologies on the geographical faux pas…Thailand was the flood stricken part, not Malaysia…I did read that WD announced recently that they did not expect to reach pre flood productions levels until perhaps September though I hope that I not true…I work at a rather large electronics retailer here and the severe lack of HDD’s and insane jumps in pricing has been hard on customers and our sales people…

I am a PC person…

Cheers,

Really! East or West Coast? We can pick up a 3TB Seagate drive around US$175 now. Price will continue to drop to normal.

South central, and yes, Seagate HDDs are coming in slowly and we are expecting WD HDDs, but in slowly increasing batches until late summer…

Cheers,