Drobo 5n 3.3.0 to 3.5.6 Fail

Hi everybody!

So I have an issue with upgrading the Drobo 5n from firmware 3.3.0 to 3.5.6. After rebooting, it would present with all red lights with the message “Too many hard drives have been removed. Please re-insert the removed hard drives.”

All drive bays have hard drives in them and I obviously have not removed any of them.

So I’m clueless as to what the issue is? Anybody experienced this?

I was able to downgrade back to 3.3.0 and everything worked again. Maybe I should just stick with 3.3.0 -_-;


hi airforce thanks for the info that you were able to downgrade and it was working again.

(you may already know though just to mention they have a best practice in knowledge base about being recommended to have a backup before any firmwares) am not sure what happened in your case, but i think for now at least, if all is well with the firmware that you have and if you are not needing to do any drive swaps or upgrades for now, then it is probably best to stick with what is working.

If I understand you correctly -
You updated to firmware 3.5.6 and Drobo went to an all red state ?

You then installed previous version of firmware and everything worked?

If this is true would you email directly at followup@drobo.com with the diag file.

Drobo Dashboard > Help and Support > Get diags

Thank You.

Yea, it worked by downgrading it back to 3.3.0. That was via a manual firmware downgrade through drodo dashboard (for those with similar problem).[hr]
Indeed that is what happened. I sent the diag zip to followup@drobo.com.

I installed the updated drobo dashboard, then upgraded the firmware from 3.3.0 to 3.5.6. After it restarts, it sequences through 4 blue leds on the right before it immediately goes into all 5 red leds on. Drobo dashboard would ask to reinsert removed drives.

Removing the bottom drive and plugging it back in would cause the last two red leds to blink red. Same as removing and plugging back in the 2nd last drive. Upon restart it’s full 5 red leds again. No SSH. No mounts.

Downgraded the firmware to 3.3.0 and upon the first restart, it’s all green and working as usual. No data loss or anything.

(thanks for the extra info, and for sending logs for drobomod)


I have the exact same problem.

I tried 3.5.2, 3.5.5, 3.5.6 and they all result in all red lights. The weird thing is that in the dashboard it recognises that the drives are inserted and has the disk sizes.

Downgrading to 3.3.0 and everything works again.


hi gehan, maybe you could save some logs in case needed if you get a chance. (more logs could help to pinpoint things)
edit: thanks gehan

Sure - here you go


I tried firmware 3.5.7 and it works now! An update to this thread would have been helpful though.

hi gehan, i think the new firmware just came out as i dont remember seeing it on the logon page yesterday, but am glad that things are working for you now with the latest version.