Drobo

Drobo 5Dt on Mac "operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred -50

Running a very old Mac OSX 10.13 OS, however, this morning when I was dragging something over to the drive I received the subject line error. (Can’t post pics for some reason)

Digging further into this I also realized that some other files seemed a little corrupt and/or something else going on. I think this is due to some write permissions error in the latest Big Sur firmware update. I can still access the files such as “Plex” etc. stored on the drive but I can’t for example connect to my “photos” library which seems off.

I submitted a helpdesk ticket for this hoping I could downgrade to the earlier firmware since these are not listed. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 9.14.54 AM

Update: Replaced the Thunderbolt interface with USB 3.0 - Now working correctly. This new firmware has corrupted Thunderbolt for even older OSX systems. (Running iMac 2011)

Defintely has to do with the latest 3.5.2 and 4.1.3 making the Drobo5D read only on MAC OSX 10.13 over Thunderbolt 1. Working with Drobo Support now. USB works fine, albeit very slow.
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 11.57.44 AM

I just came here to search for the same thing. In my case, I’m guessing the problem was caused by upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra with the Drobo connect (via thunderbolt) My Mac Mini doesn’t have USB3, so I’m out of luck.

The Drobo works just fine when it’s connected to my MBP, and I can write successfully, but that’s not very practical for everyday use.

I would greatly appreciate it if you shared your progress, and I’m going to optimistically assume that a solution can be found!

USB 2 works although terribly slow. (Uploaded Drobo and Mac diagnostics to Drobo team)

Thank you so much for the suggestion. it seems to work well enough, so it should tide me over while I figure out what to do. My solution so far had been to treat myself to a new M1 Mini, only to discover that it’s not working with the Drobo either. It’s not been a good week! /smiles

I have the oldest mac computer in my household because I’m also waiting for the M1 iMac. -> Time to replace next year. :slight_smile:

I have the same issue where I can read data but can’t write or modify data. I get the same error message. I noticed this coincided with a MacOS Supplemental Update as my Time Machine stopped backing up on the same evening the update was installed. As Dashboard 3.5.1 and 3.5.2 were released around the same time, it’s possible that might have something to do with it. I’m also running a 2011 iMac with 10.13.6. I have also raised a support ticket with them. Lets see what they come back with.

Temp swap to USB makes the 5D “useable”

Update: Drobo support sent me the previous dashboard file of 3.5.1 for my Thunderbolt Mac OSX 10.13.6 operating system. Thunderbolt now works again. (3.5.2 was the culprit for me)

They should prevent updating to 3.5.2 on High Sierra for 5D users as it broke write functionality.

To Resolve the issue on macOS 10.13, do the following:

• Download the latest version DroboDashboard from Drobo-Dashboard-3.5.1.dmg
  • Once downloaded to your desktop, double click on the DroboDashboard .dmg file
  • From the DroboDashboard screen select UNINSTALL, follow the prompts to uninstall
  • ​Install Drobo Dashboard: Drobo-Dashboard-3.5.1.dmg