Drobo 5D - Time Machine Mac OSX 10.9

I cannot find instructions to create a backup of 2TB on my 16TB DAS. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I am using v10.9.2. I do not want the backup to be larger than 2TB (twice the size of my HD)

Thanks,

There are instructions on Drobo’s page to set up a sparse bundle disk image to limit the size of the time machine target on the Drobo.

An easier method has been added to the 2014 USB 3 four bay Drobo.

I thought I saw that the new simpler Time Machine capabilities introduced with the 2014 USB 3 four-bay Drobo were going to be migrated to Dashboard for other DAS Drobos like the 5D to use. I would wait for that if possible.

Any confirmation of the simpler time machine feature being available on the 5D from others on the board?

[quote=“nowakj66, post:2, topic:139530”]
There are instructions on Drobo’s page to set up a sparse bundle disk image to limit the size of the time machine target on the Drobo.

An easier method has been added to the 2014 USB 3 four bay Drobo.

I thought I saw that the new simpler Time Machine capabilities introduced with the 2014 USB 3 four-bay Drobo were going to be migrated to Dashboard for other DAS Drobos like the 5D to use. I would wait for that if possible.

Any confirmation of the simpler time machine feature being available on the 5D from others on the board?
[/quote][hr]
The instructions are not consistent with the Maverick OSX 10.9.2 version. It seems the creation of the sparse bundle file is slightly different. Is there a newer instruction sheet?

Sparse bundle creation hasn’t changed since 10.2.

What problem are you having?

I have a 5D, just updated to 3.1.1 firmware which is currently setup with two partitions via OSX, one for Time Machine and one for data. Is there an advantage to using the new Time Machine Volume? Is there a way to switch ideally nondestructively?

It’s not a great idea to use the same device for your data and your backup.

If something happens to your Drobo (power supply, backplane, etc) then all your data and your backups are gone.

There is a crucial 2nd part to this question. If your boot drive fails in lets say your iMac and you get it replaced, what are the proper steps to restore the fixed iMac using the sparsebundle backup from the drobo 5D?

does mac have a boot-cd like a rescue boot, with access to the drobo?
maybe that would be needed?

i dont have a mac, but luckily acronis for pc can boot up and use a drobo (at least a gen1 4slot, and i think gen2)

Well in this case there is no boot disk that came with the iMac. What I have will be the iMac as if it were brand new going to be turned on for the first time and the 5D. So its got to be some sort of procedure involving the OS, the time machine app and the drobo I need to figure out to get the iMac restored from the drobo sparsebundle backup.

All Macs sold since 2011 have ‘Internet Recovery’. You load OSX directly from the 'net.

During the restore, it asks you if you have a Time Machine backup you want to restore.

It’s pretty easy and works very well.

BTW - you don’t have to use the Internet Recovery option. I have a USB flash drive with OSX that I use.

http://liondiskmaker.com/

[quote=“rbowen@reesebowen.com, post:3, topic:139530”]

I was following some instructions I got (in a Word doc format which should have been a PDF) from the Drobo site for creating sparse disk images for Time Machine. I followed the instructions carefully and could not get TM to recognize the sparse image I create until I changed the “drive name” of the sparse image to "Time Machine Backups” (the example in the doc used “TimeMachineBackup”). Note I’m running OS X 10.9.4.