Drobo 5D/5Dt macOS Monterey

Dear forum users:

I am upgrading my now ‘vintage’ iMac to a newer Mac Studio which will come with macOS Monterey installed.

Can the Drobo 5D/5Dt be used with the current version of Drobo software and macOS Monterey?

I know there is some security settings with Monterey to enable kernel extensions and had to go through some personal troubleshooting a while back when updating to Catalina and enabling/installing the software for Drobo in the beginning before restoring a Time Machine backup.

Thank you for any info!

I’ve been looking everywhere for ‘Drobo 5D/5Dt’ with Monterey and so far my searches have been empty ones.

Best regards,

Mark

2 Likes

The Mac Studio comes with the M1 chip, so as long as you are able to get the Drobo dashboard loaded and the correct cable connections to link to your 5D/5Dt, it should be possible.

Note the 2 security changes needed in the OS to have the Drobo Dashboard fully integrated. I posted my experience here:

2 Likes

Hello and THANK YOU for your post!

I apologize for the long response time on this one, however I had to wait for three months for my Mac Studio Display to arrive and didn’t want to set up the Drobo underneath our television as that was what I was using for a monitor until it arrived.

Just got the Mac Studio display today! Love it so far!

I did get the Drobo Dashboard software to run on macOS Monterey Version 12.4!

All I had to do was uninstall the previous Drobo Dashboard, restart, download and install the current version, allow the extension, and reboot. Had to allow the extension twice and restart twice.

Previous to allowing the extension, I had to restart macOS and go into ‘Repair’ mode, open security settings and allow user configurable kernel extensions.

Had to get a Thunderbolt usb-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to connect my old Thunderbolt 2 docking station to my Mac Studio and that appears to be working as well. Not sure how much longer I will be using that docking station, but will replace it as finances allow. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the wonderful advice!

Mark

1 Like