Drobo

Drobo 2 gen - How to identify possible bad disk?

Hi, I have a Drobo 2 gen with 4 X 2 TB WD Green drives. Connected to my iMac via FW , running OSX Lion

Lately it has started to misbehave. I´m getting device removal error after waking up from sleep, and the Drobo reboots after first try to spin up the disks.

Sometimes I also hear “bad sounds” from one of the drives. So how can I identify which drive is misbehaving? The Drobo itself reports no error and all four lights are green.

Thanx
kingvald

you would need to download the diagnostic logs from the drobo and send them to DRI[hr]
you would need to download the diagnostic logs from the drobo and send them to DRI

Please open a support ticket with a diagnostic file attached right away. We can usually tell you which drive is going bad.

Welcome Sky! You’re the first Drobo employee I’ve seen here for quite a while. Hope you stick around!

It’s been said before, but it would be extremely helpful if the Drobo Dashboard could indicate such issues and notify the user without the need of support tickets and diagnostic files. I assume if there’s something DRI can grok from the logs to tell what’s going wrong, then the Dashboard should be able to take a stab at it as well. Life’s not always that simple, but even looking for clusters of I/O errors or SMART issues and reporting them would be a big improvement.

btw Vlad what was your outcome?
did the drobo show you a red light for the bad drive?