Drobo

Drive reccomendation

I’m replacing two of the aging 1TB drives in my Drobo with some fresh 2TB’s.

What drives are the best bang for the buck these days? I’m looking at the following

• SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI
  • HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117)
  • Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS

Any more reliable than the other, or more suited for a 2nd-gen Drobo?

Thanks in advance.

ive had a lot of afilures of the wd recently - usualyl within the first week - once they are past that they seem ok

the hitachis are alright, ive had a couple die on me

never lost a samsung

this si all on a relatively small sample

My experience is similar to Docchris’. I’ve had a WD fail within the first week, then the replacement and the others I had installed have been rock solid since. I’ve also got the Samsung and Hitachi models you mention, and they have been very reliable.

I just got two more WD20EARS to max out my Gen 1 to 4x2TB, all the same drive. No problems with them, touch wood…

I’ll go for the Samsung then. Prices are only a few bucks apart.

just to show my sig…
so far the WD10EADS i have (x8) havent let me down - next im upgrading them to the WD15EADS’s that i bought.
(if i see any WD20EADS drives i’ll get them but could only finr WD15EADS :frowning:

FWIW, all 4 of my recent Best Buy purchases of SKU 9234465 (WD model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN) were WD20EADS.

The packaging has no mention of Advanced Format or anything, though I suppose WD could put a sticker or something on them.

Hey, they’re back on sale for $79.99 a piece (on bestbuy.com at least), like when I bought them too! :slight_smile:

i like your sig :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, bhiga. I found them at my local BB, on sale as you’ve said, and am planning on picking 2 up when my next paycheck arrives. :slight_smile:

I read your port, bhiga, and popped off to BB. My drive (same SKU and model) is a WD20EARZ, but I think it will work fine. It’s almost finished with all the WD surface tests. :slight_smile:
I’m happy with my purchase, but wanted to let others know that the drives might be a mix of models.

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the info rdo… guess it depends on what your local BBY has stock-wise.