Drobo

Disk Warrior reporting malfunctioning disks...

I’m trying to rebuild the directory on one of my DroboElite volumes and Disk Warrior (running under OS X 10.6.4 Server) is reporting that it cannot repair the volume because of a disk malfunction. When I look at the Drobo Dashboard, however, all of the disks are green and listed as healthy. Is there a way to confirm which of these applications is providing correct data?

Have you booted your computer with the Disk Warrior CD?

Unfortunately DroboElites can only mount volumes through the iSCSI interface and that can’t be initialized from the Disk Warrior boot CD.

You can’t connect with USB and then boot from the CD?

This is a frequent problem with Drobos!!!

They are so slow! that DW thinks the disk (it sees only one) has a problem. And this is what support should tell you but they don’t.

Sometimes running again helps to finish the test, sometimes it always gives this error.

You can open a case with Tech Support and have us take a look at a diagnostic file.

To run a diagnostic:

Windows:

1. Right-click on the Drobo Dashboard icon running in your computer’s system tray, in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen, next to your clock.

2. Select “Get Diagnostic Information.”

Mac:

1. Click on “Drobo Dashboard” in the upper left-hand corner of your screen, next to your Apple.

2. Select “Get Diagnostic Information.”

I did open a case with tech support, sent my log files over, and they only suggested that I clone the data to another volume. I’ve since done that, ran Disk Warrior on the new volume, and it’s still reporting a mechanical issue.

Drobo tech support assured me that there was nothing wrong with any of the drives so I’m perplexed as to which information I should trust. Considering that I have it directly attached via iSCSI over a CAT6 cable and am only getting peak transfer rates of 30mbs, I have a strong reason to believe that there is a mechanical problem with one of the drives in the array and the log files are not reporting it.

Since your data is backed up elsewhere you can take out the drives one by one, put them in your PC/Mac Pro, perform some S.M.A.R.T. testing routines and do a surface scan but that may take some time. Then you’ll get the answer you want. But 30MB/sec is really slow I must admit. Maybe the device is nearly full.

I can confirm this. When I try to run Disk Warrior on my Drobos (I have two), I have to try multiple times before Disk Warrior will stop reporting a malfunction. From my experience, running Disk Warrior immediately after powering up helps your chances of getting Disk Warrior to work.