Disk Drive Spindown option - not working

My Drobo 5D with 4 Toshiba N300 drives (two 4TB & two 6TB) keeps sounding like data on the drives are being accessed even though

1. I unmount the drobo
  2. my iMac is in sleep mode
  3. I uncheck or check the Disk Drive Spindown option

The drobo is forever whirring up like it is accessing the data, stopping and staying quiet for 2-3sec, and then whirring up again. The blinking light showing file transfer on the Drobo is always off while this is happening. It never stays quiet for longer than 5 sec like my other Western Digital DAS in “sleep” mode.

Is this how Drobo is set up?
I was expecting the drobo to quieten down with the Disk Drive Spindown option when my iMac is asleep and nothing is accessing the Drobo, but the drives never seem to spin down and remain quiet.
Would appreciate some advice.
Thanks

I have the same problem. I ran Disk Warrior on my drobo and it still keeps churning forever. I can’t believe it’s “organizing itself.”

I put the computer to sleep. The drobos went to sleep. Then I turned the Drobo off with the toggle button. Then turned off my computer. Then I rebooted my computer. Turned on the Drobo and it seemed to settle down…but after a while, it started up again.

I never turn my computer off or the drobos. I let it all run. I just make sure my monitor goes off.

But maybe this is the problem. I don’t know.

I’m just going to put my computer to sleep and give the drobos some rest. Then when I go back the next day, I’ll wake them up and let them churn if they want.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Fortunately, after 2-3wks, my Drobo became quiet and the whirring sound stopped.
It’s now only making the sound of disk access when I call up the folder.

Maybe it was doing some “indexing” for the Drobo Raid when I first moved my data onto the drive.

All’s good now.

The HDD ‘chatter’ you notice even after files are no longer accessed is the drobo optimising both files and duplication across the array. It is most noticeable after large file writes and can extend for awhile so is considered normal.

It is not normal if this chatter is accompanied by the drobo fan suggesting significant data transfer between HDDs within the array. Look for other causes if this is the case.