Drobo

Did miniDLNA crash my Drobo FS?

Just logged a support ticket but wanted to see if anyone else had anything similar…

I have set up my Drobo and finished copying my data on to it but now have a problem, when it starts up, I get a message saying ‘Drobo Detected an Internal Problem, Please contact Support’ when I access it through the dashboard.

I am also now unable to access it through the any of the shares or DroboApps.

I accidentally filled it to 95% and the shares disconnected, after restarting it, I still was unable to access it but then after leaving it Shutdown for a while I was able to get into it fine again.

Since then I have removed lots of data and am back down to 81% used (Free is still only 5% though apparently).
The last thing I did was to restart to try and resolve the Free Space issue and install miniDLNA and this problem started on that restart.

I would like to remove miniDLNA to see if this resolves it but cannot access any of the shares or DroboApps Admin page.

Any thoughts would be great, otherwise I’ll wait for support to reply.

Regards
Paul

Do you have SSH access?

I did before this error came up, now I dont.

Just found the CTRL+SHIFT+M command to kick off an fschk so that is running now but I expect this will take a fair while to complete with 2.5TB on it.

At the moment the only way I know the Drobo is even there is pinging it and through the Dashboard (although this is limited to pretty much just Shutdown and Restarting). I cant even ping the hostname, just the IP.

Update: Running the fsck fixed it.

Ricardo, just to put you at ease, I dont think miniDLNA was the cause either as that is running fine now after restarting following the repair.

Fingers crossed Support will be able to tell me what happened when they take a look at the Diags.
Also made the point to them that they should have a button on that message saying run this before contacting them and this would stop people worrying so much when they have the problem!

Regards
Paul

Update: Running the fsck fixed it.

Ricardo, just to put you at ease, I dont think miniDLNA was the cause either as that is running fine now after restarting following the repair.

Fingers crossed Support will be able to tell me what happened when they take a look at the Diags.
Also made the point to them that they should have a button on that message saying run this before contacting them and this would stop people worrying so much when they have the problem!

Regards
Paul

Well, technically minidlna could cause trouble. This is the scenario I have in mind: you have an almost full Drobo, then you install minidlna. If you have too many files, the minidlna index could use up all the remaining space. And a drobo without any space left is not a happy drobo.

files.db has rebuilt now and it 70MB and I still had about 180GB free when I ran into the problem.

I would have thought it would cope with that but to be honest I dont think it even had a chance to do much in the way of building the cache in the first place as I hadnt told it which folders to scan so it was just doing Public.

EDIT: Ricardo, any chance you could patch minidlna so that you can run multiple instances?
Patch Details
Im not quite up to compiling myself yet.