Drobo

Detailed Technical Specifications?

On blogs, I see references to Jumbo Frames, Dual-Core CPU, more Ram, etc but not on the Drobo website itself. Can we get more information of the internal components of the Drobo FS to confirm what the blogs say it has?

So it has Jumbo Frames support? I guess that’s configured from the Drobo Dashboard?

Does the Drobo FS have a difference CPU from the Drobo S? Is the CPU and Ram shared by both the BeyondRaid component and the ‘DroboShare/DroboApp’ components and is there a danger of a high load on one causing slowness in the other? I certainly don’t want a buggy or needy App to cause the BeyondRaid to stop working.

Does email alerts still work when the computer running the dashboard is off?

Since there doesn’t seem to be a way for a UPS to notify the drobo of any power issues, what would happen if power just cut out? And can we simply use the power switch to safely shutdown the Drobo FS or do we have to use the Drobo Dashboard to do that? I’m thinking a short flip of the switch would signal the FS to gracefully shutdown while a long flip would be a forceful shutdown.

Thanks!

I have setup my drobo-fs and can answer a few of these questions.

“So it has Jumbo Frames support? I guess that’s configured from the Drobo Dashboard?”
yes it has jumbo frames support that you configure thru the dashboard. check box turns it on with typical settings of 1500 - 9000

“Does email alerts still work when the computer running the dashboard is off?”
no

“Since there doesn’t seem to be a way for a UPS to notify the drobo of any power issues, what would happen if power just cut out? And can we simply use the power switch to safely shutdown the Drobo FS or do we have to use the Drobo Dashboard to do that? I’m thinking a short flip of the switch would signal the FS to gracefully shutdown while a long flip would be a forceful shutdown.”
according to the manual you need to shut it down via the dashboard or disconnect it from the network then toggle the switch also it has a rechargeable battery that allows data being written during an outage to complete

Thanks for the response. I had more questions but decided to look at the user guide first.

Regarding email alerts, on page 16, it states:

[quote]“This tab allows you to enable email alerts directly from your Drobo FS.
Use this screen to set the desired alert level. After that, Drobo
Dashboard does not have to be running for the alerts to be emailed to
your designated email address. Nor does your computer have to be
turned on for this feature to work.”[/quote]
So I guess email alerts are sent directly from the unit and not through the dashboard.

I had questions about shares and user accounts. It looks like both are available but some details are unknown.

One is able to create up to 32 shares on the FS and deleting a share will also delete the data within. This implies that a share is not merely a logical pointer to a folder but is a folder itself.

[list]
[]So does this means there is no ‘root’ share that gives access to everything?
[
]Since shares also represent the folder, does this mean I can’t create a read-only share or two shares pointing to the same folder with one read-only and one read-write?
[]When assigning users to shares, can I specify rights such as read-only or read-write? This would help greatly if shares themselves don’t have permission settings.
[
]Can a share be ‘hidden’ by naming a share with a $ at the end? ie: Files$
[/list]

Thanks!

i am not getting alerts with my dashboard off. i will have to take a look at that again. sorry for wrong info…

When you set up the FS, it automatically creates a Public Share Folder.
And it creates an Admin user. Admin user has access to all shares created.

You can have multiple users have access to the same share. Once you add that user to the share you can click on their share user name then click on edit and there is a check mark for “allow user to write and delete files” automatically checked, you can uncheck for read only access.

The $ sign does work, it will hide the folder from browsing to it but the share still appears in Dashboard.

Thanks! Does the Drobo FS support guest/anonymous users, which are users that can connect without a password? This is so I can give everyone read-only access to my shares and if they want modify rights, they have to specify a specific user account when connecting. On Windows, that account would be called ‘guest’ and it’s normally disabled for security reasons.

Jennifer - Can you answer any of the other questions in the original post about cpu/ram sharing?

Is the Drobo FS a more robust product?

does it fully utilize Gigabit speeds?

@badbob001: When you create a share, you will see that by default “everyone” is listed under users. That is the guest account. When a person maps to that drive that has 'everyone" as a user, they can map to it and will NOT be prompted for a password.

@sutheo: unfortunately i do not have that specific information about the cpu and ram, I can contact engineering to see if they will give me those specs. I know the FS is faster and has a better cpu than the Drobo. The Drobo S is has a faster cpu then the FS.

Thanks for the info on shares and accounts. None of this is obvious from the documentation.

The Drobo S has a faster CPU than the FS? Now I am really interested to know the cpu speeds for both the FS and the S. I know that the S has faster interfaces than the FS, but I always thought that the interface was never a limiting factor due to the big overhead of BeyondRaid. Regardless, this would mean that a rebuild on FS will probably take longer than on the S.

And what is this business of dual-core on the FS? Does it really have a single dual-core CPU that double duty functions for BeyondRaid as well as DroboApps or was it a fancy way of saying that each function is served by two separate and dedicated CPUs? As I stated before, I really don’t like Apps sharing the same memory and processing space as BeyondRaid.

Good questions. I look forward to the rest of this thread.

Any progress on getting more technical details about the Drobo FS and Drobo S?

Data Robotics held some webcasts for the Drobo FS that I’m sure was full of technical questions from attendees but it seems like those are never posted. :frowning:

Once Drobo Apps are turned on I expect you should be able to get into the box via SSH and dig around a bit.

Has anyone gotten email alerts from the DroboFS to work without dashboard running as mentioned in the user guide excerpt below?

The alerts tab in my “tools - settings- alerts” tab are completely grayed out and can’t seem to be enabled. The “disable alerts from this drobo” button is selected and I can’t change it to enable.

I can enter email info in the dashboard menu item “email settings” and I do get alerts as long as dashboard is running, but it seems senseless to have to leave a second computer running dashboard on at all times just to get alerts from the Drobo if I don’t absolutely have to.

Any ideas are appreciated.

At this time, email alerts from the FS are not enabled. This will be enabled in a future release of firmware.
This is in the current release notes for firmware 1.0.3
http://www.drobo.com/support/updates/firmware/Release_Notes_Drobo_FS_Firmware_1.0.3.pdf

Currently you need to run email alerts from the dashboard (right click on icon in system tray and email alerts on windows, click on drobo dashboard next to apple icon and email alerts in drop down menu on macs.)

Thanks so much for the clarification on the alerts Jennifer, and thanks for all your hard work in the forums. I’m new here but I can already see the awesome job you do to keep everyone informed.

Take care.

Jeff

Both Drobo S and Drobo FS are based on Marvell processors (read mode at: http://www.marvell.com/products/processors/embedded/discovery_innovation/). The performance of the unit it totally dependent on if you use SMB/CIFS or AFP, your computer, and the type of test you are performing. Let’s just say, we think the product is fast and can hold its own. It’s MUCH faster than DroboShare (three to four times faster).

As for DroboApps, these could impact the data transfer speeds of the Drobo FS depending on what they are doing (for example, SSH will have little impact vs. Firefly which could cause an impact since it’s streaming songs to iTunes). Running DroboApps can have same effect on performance as if you were running five vs. ten programs on your computer. In general, your computer is going to be faster with five apps running. DroboApps don’t have any access to the “BeyondRaid” piece of the system.

Which is faster?

And how do you choose which format you want to use?