DDR3-A drops connection with 4 drives but works with 3

Here’s a new one. Never much issues until recently had to shut it down to move it and now all sorts of weird issues. Finally narrowed it down to the fact that if I put in 3 drives in any ports and any 3 drives it shows up in dashboard and instructs me to put in the 4 missing drive. I shut it down and pop in 4th drive and goes through all the lights but never shows up in dashboard. Eventually all lights go red and all blue lights light up and then turns off and a second later powers on again. Does not do this with 3,2 or 1 drive. Once it did show up in dashboard when all 4 drives were in but one second later it said Drobo was improperly ejected. Any ideas how to fix? Or if the Drobo is failing if I get a new Drobo and pop in my drives will the new Drobo have no issues in reading those drives or do I have to get the exact same model as mine? I am trying the RO mode to see if that works but other than that I just want to get my data and say bye to Drobo. Thanks to anyone that can help.

So putting it in RO mode actually worked and Drobo has mounted and data is there. Afraid to touch it now. I am only 90% full yet one drive is marked red but when I click on it in the dashboard the Health says Good?? At the bottom I have a message "Drobo cannot protect your data against drive failures until you provide at least 2 hard drives for single disk redundancy or 3 hard drives for dual… " Not sure why since I only saw this message if storage was full or at 95% capacity and I’m only at 90%. Either way glad it shows my data again so I can get it off.

The Drobo working with 3 drives but not 4 could be indicative of a failing power supply. The power supply can supply enough power to write to 3 drives, but not 4. It could also be a problem with the 4th drive, when you try to write to it. Can you try a different drive in the 4th bay? If that or a replacement PSU don’t work I would back everything up, and try to start fresh.

Good luck!

Regards,

Dom

Haven’t thought of PS so hope you are right cause the Drobo and drives seem to be working. Here’s the crazy work around I went through to even get to my files. With 4 drives in the Drobo would just boot and restart endlessly and never show up in Dashboard. Took one drive out and it shows in dashboard. Then I enabled RO mode, shut down, put in all drive back in, turned on Drobo and it shows up in dashboard but with one drive in red even though all drives are healthy according to dashboard and only at 90% capacity. So then proceeded to copy all data off but funny thing happened multiple times during transfer and that is that the Drobo would just power off and reboot itself multiple times and transfer would obviously error out but eventually got all data off fortunately. Was going to try a new bigger drive but that doesn’t make sense since it is not full and it says all drives are healthy so the PS idea sounds more plausible since it keeps rebooting and can’t handle 4 drives anymore.thanks.

I’ve never had a PSU failure, but I have had a difficult to detect drive failure. I was able to get my Drobo diagnostic file analysed by Drobo support who found that there were bad sectors on a specific drive being reported by Drobo. Luckily, my drive was still under warranty.

Here’s what they found in the diagnostic logs:

From the diagnostic, the drive from slot 1 exhibited too many disk flush failures.
*-Sun Aug 29 18:42:50 UTC 2021:J2::doSpill: power cycling slot 1 because too many disk flush failures​*

The drive showed a warning message because it encountered block errors during reading or writing operations and Drobo power-cycled this drive because of the reason.  

So, even if the drive looks ok, there might be something causing an issue with Drobo that is not easily visible unless you have Drobo read the diagnostics (unfortunately, the diagnostic files are encrypted and only readable by Drobo support).

Both leads, the replacement PSU and the faulty drive, are worth following up on IMO.

Good luck!

Regards,

Dom

Ya I’m in a pickle now cause I’m also leaning towards possible drive issues now too. During me copying all my files off the Drobo there was one instance where one file was constantly causing the Drobo to reboot and then all the other times the Drobo would reboot was during any type of transferring so sounds like drive issues but how to find out which drive. Two of the drives say heathy and the other two say Healed in the dashboard. Im guessing if it was power supply then it would be rebooting or shutting down randomly. Wondering if a complete reformat of all the drives would help since that is my only option right now aside from getting all new drives.

Well the final solution to this that seems to be working so far was to copy all data off and Erase and Reset to factory settings followed by a format of entire Drobo. All drives green and healthy apparently and so far moving data back going smoothly. Hopefully.

Don’t get rid of that other backup quite yet, would be my advice. Just in case you come across issues while moving your data back to Drobo. Glad it worked out, though!

Regards,

Dom

Ya definitely will now have a backup of my Drobo after that scare. Too much precious data. Still copying and still no issues but thanks for responding.