Drobo

Data protection / Rebuild after Firmware 1.0.4?

Why is my Drobo FS in data protection mode after installing 1.0.4? I can’t find anything about that on the release notes, and it never did this with my previous Drobo (first gen).

That rebuild was not caused by the firmware update. It is just coincidence.

Yea, no rebuild here after update to 1.0.4. E-mail alerts working nice too, bring on the drive spindown fix!

Unfortunately, that makes me even more nervous. There was no reason for a rebuild. The only thing I can think of is that it notified me at the same time as the update that it had missed a drobocopy (even though drobodashboard was running) and attempted to complete one while the update process was beginning. It seemed to complete the copy ok, then completed the update, but immediately went into rebuild. I’ll watch for further unprompted rebuilds. My Gen 1 Drobo never performed unexpected rebuilds.

Rebuilds happen when the drobo detects bad sectors/blocks on a drive. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do and is moving your data around on the drives to ensure your data is protected against a hard drive failure.

If you like, you can open a support case and send in a diagnostic file for review.