Drobo

Data at risk ?!

Starting yesterday I have a new message in Dashboard. Your Data is at risk. It tells me to replace a hdd with one of a greater capacity. The thing is that I have enough free space and I have enabled dual data redundancy. So the message makes no sense. I have attached a print screen of my dashboard. Maybe someone knows what is happening and if my data is really at risk.

Thanks

[hr]
Just thinking out loud… maybe drobo needs to have free space in the equal amount of the protection space so if a drive fails it will have the free space for the rebuild ? But if so why isn’t the message stating that if 2 hdd fail your data is at risk. If one fails you still have a chance :slight_smile:

the reason the message says at risk, is because it starts to get too complicated / wordy if you start specifying the exact number of drives.

basically it means you data is not longer protected to the standard you have selected, i.e. if you have dual disk redundancy, and one fails, then “your data is at risk” means you are now only protected against one further failure.

it looks like one of your drives (the one in red) has failed.

you dont have enough space to rebuild back to a safe state.

although theoretically it is possible (you NEED 2Tb and you have 2.38) in practise that would leave you critically low on free space after the rebuild,so drobo wont rebuild in this instance. you will need to replace the failed diskand then it will rebuild onto that.

ok I understand but the red HDD did not fail. I just checked it on my computer and works perfectly. Bios states SMART ok and windows detects it and states that is working properly. I could not initialize it because it will erase the mbr but I checked it with Final Data and everything is ok. Any suggestions ?

we’ve been over this many many times on the forums but the rough summary is:

SMART/manufacturers testing programs:

will accept quite wide margins of error and “Pass” a drive - its in their best interest not to accept returns until the drive actually literally stops responding.

Drobo:

is the complete opposite and is very picky. maybe it saw the bad sector count starting to increases, maybe the drive was taking too long to respond to commands, eitherway drobo monitors the drives over an extended period and it thinks this one is dying.

basically: drobo has rejected the drive.

if you want to know exactly why - pull the logs off drobo and send them into support and they will tell you why its been flagged as failed.

people have been able to wipe drives and do other tricks to put them back into drobo - but they usually go on to die. and especially since the whole point of drobo is because you worry about data security - then why risk using suspect drives in it.

if you want to use i tin a desktop machine, that may well be fine (for a while) but usually people have no problem getting them replaced with the manufacturer.

thank you. I understand now.

happy to help :smiley:

A quick follow up. I just removed the Broken HDD and something strange happened. The free space diminished. If the drive was broken and Drobo flagged it so why was it’s space being used ?

your free space didnt diminish by the amount of storage that the drive had though?

i suspect its because even though the drive was failed - the “data” stored by drobo (either actually physically stored, or virtually available by being rebuilt on the fly wasnt adjusted). if you had a 3Tb raid array and a drive failed, then you would still have a 3tb raid array,just some of it would be missing and the array would have to reconstruct it on the fly. now you have removed the drive,its reduced the total storage pool available,possibly because it couldn’t rebuild?

i’d advise just replacing the drive and the letting it finish the rebuild:)

it makes sense. I’ll do a follow up when I replace the HDD. Thanks again.