Drobo

Dashboard wants random TCP port on 174.143.247.131

Why does the Drobo Dashboard ask every few minutes to be allowed to connect to “updates.drobo.com” on some random TCP port at 174.143.247.131, with the reverse DNS name 174-143-247-131.static.cloud-ips.com? In the last 20 minutes or so, since I started noting the TCP ports it has wanted, it has asked for 26753, 35151, 51933, and 19280. Before that, it was asking for lots of different ports, but I didn’t note them or the IP address…

Has it been infected with some Linux virus, or is this strange behaviour normal? (I’ve had the Drobo/Droboshare only for a few days, so I don’t know what is normal behaviour – I don’t remember this happening the first little while, but it’s been happening at least three days, possibly not always at the same IP address). At first, I allowed the connection, but more recently I’ve been denying it. Should I allow it?

i think msn messenger used to do something like this to try and get around any kind of blocking/firewall (slightly questionable behaviour) it would just try random ports until it found one it could connect on…

im not sure if that is what this is doing, but it sounds similar

In order to check for whether there is new firmware, you have to look. New firmware is downloaded from the site you listed.
checking every five minutes seems a bit excessive. Perhaps this started after the first time you refused (since it didn’t work, it perhaps retries more aggressively.)

What dashboard are you talking about? do you mean on a computer, on a droboshare?

Droboshare, firmare version 1.1.2 [51.14990], Dashboard 1.5.1 [1.5.19930], Drobo Firmware 1.3.5 [1.252.21110], running from (on) MacBook Pro (early 2008) Mac OS X 10.5.8

Thanks for setting my mind at rest that this is a legitimate IP address.