Drobo

Dashboard remains in the dock on a Mac

I have a FW800 Drobo attached to my Mac Pro. I have the Drobo Dashboard startup in my login script. It starts just fine but it stays in the dock and there is no way to remove it from the dock or hide it. Would it be possible to add as a future feature to the Drobo Dashboard the it does not have to remain in the dock while running?

Open a support case and it will be forwarded to the correct department as a feature request.

The choice between having the menu bar icon or Dock icon would be nice, but I just stumbled on a feature I’d not heard about before:

If you go into the Dashboard menu and select Hide Menu Bar Icon, the icon in the Dock changes to a rather nice pie chart :slight_smile:

If I’m late to the party here, forgive me :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve been using dashboard 1.2.4 (because of the multiple volumes issue) and this wasn’t in the changelog for 1.5.1. :slight_smile:

Drobo Dashboard has just won itself a place on my Dock :smiley:

Jennifer this has been mentioned a hundred times, I started a trhead as did others on the old forum, why the heck do we need to raise a support case.

I thought you people read this forum, so bloody well read and stop making excuses. If you don’t have people capable of coding for OSX open or out source it.

Actually I just found out on dashboard 1.5.1 you can remove from the dock. Sorry I’m not on my mac all the time and it doesn’t bother me that the dashboard icon is in my dock. But I do like the Pie Icon better! :slight_smile:

@garethi:

“We people” do read this forum, but most changes and feature requests happen when a support case is opened and can be forwarded to the correct department and an actual “paper trail” can be created. Instead of “a couple of people said they didn’t like the icon in the dock on the website”. The more requests for a particular feature submitted via the proper channels the quicker changes can be implemented.

I give DRI 50% of a gold star. To earn the other 50% do what was requested by many before in the other forum-- get the icon out of The Dock.

On Dashboard 1.5.1 you can remove the icon from the dock.

How would I do that, Jennifer? I am running 1.5.1 on my Macmini. I can remove it from the menu bar (top of screen), but not from the Dock. Unless you consider replacing the Dock’s Drobo image with a pie chart image removing it — which would be pretty crazy to claim.

I right clicked on the pie or dashboard icon on the dock and selected “remove from dock”.

Jennifer, can you please tell me where do you see “remove from dock” when i click on the dashboard icon i dont see it at all? Am i missing something?

I can’t seem to find a solution to removing it either. I can choose to have the icon or the pie chart, but getting rid of it all together doesn’t seem to be an optino on my mac (10.5.8)

Same here, only difference is that I am running 10.6

Jenifer seems to have the wrong end of the stick regarding the ‘remove from dock’ option in 10.5, this simply removes it from the dock when you quit it.

All icons have that.

What people want is dashboard running as it does in the menu bar, so there is no need what so ever for the icon to be in the dock, just remove it. Better still make the dashboard a proper preference pane.

Sorry, I was mistaken. I removed it from the dock, but didn’t realize someone had quit the application on that Mac.

Again, if you would like to request this as a feature, please open a support case so it can be forwarded to the engineers.

Hello,

Any news on this? I also want the Drobo icon to be removed from the Fock. My Dock needs its space.

Thank you!

Patrick

Please submit a feature request.

SOLUTION:

1. Close the drobo dashboard app.
  2. Right click on it and choose “show package contents”. In the “content” folder there is an info.plist file.
  3. Open that file in textedit and change the following:

<key>NSPrincipalClass</key> <string>NSApplication</string>
TO:

<key>NSPrincipalClass</key> <string>NSApplication</string> <key>LSUIElement</key> <string>1</string>
Really just adding the last 2 lines. Note there are leading tabs on these lines.

1. Save the file and relaunch the app and the icon should no longer appear in the dock.

This must be an oversight by the developers to leave out such a simple feature. Do we really need to files a support ticket?

Yes, you should. It’s the only way to be sure your voice is “counted” - just like voting. :slight_smile:

That almost worked. A simple relaunch did not remove the icon from the dock BUT a right click suddenly offered “Remove from dock”

Thanks

Siegfried