Drobo

Dashboard doesn't see my Drobo

I have a 1st generation Drobo connected to my network via DroboShare. The Drobo works fine, I can transfer files etc. But my Drobo Dashboard only tells me that it’s “ready for connection” (on two computers). Any ideas?

Is this after the computer has been in sleep mode or even after a proper reboot?

Even after reboot - Drobo Dashboard is one of my startup items, but it never sees the Drobo.

The most common cause of this issue is a firewall setting. A firewall is probably blocking Drobo Dashboard traffic.

In addition, be sure to check third-party software, such as Norton, which may have placed DroboShare’s MAC address (seen on bottom of the unit) in a limited-access mode or classification.

DroboShare uses SMB over TCP, so you need port 445 open.

If you want Drobo Dashboard to be able to connect through a firewall (to communicate with Drobo FS, DroboShare or DroboPro using iSCSI), the easiest way is to put Drobo Dashboard in the firewalls’ allowed-programs list.

If your firewall doesn’t offer a feature with an allowed-programs list, you need to open ports 5000 and 1024-65536. Drobo Dashboard connects to port 5000 and then randomly picks a port in the range for broadcasting.

http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/257
http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/81

My firewall is off!

Next step is to directly connect the DS to the NIC card of your computer and see if you have the same issue with dashboard.

Should probably let support know, the port range should be 1024-65535.

There are 65536 ports, 0-65535. 1024-65535 are ephemeral.

Kind Regards,

Red

I’m all of a sudden having this issue on my FS as well.

For the last week, ever since getting and installing my FS, dashboard 1.7.1 has come right up, located my FS, and mounted the shares.

Today, although I’ve verified nothing on my network has changed, dashboard just sits with the “ready for connection” message. I’ve restarted the computer, restarted the DroboFS, restarted the router, with no luck.

The drobo is there and I can mount the shares manually, but dashboard will not connect to the Drobo. Anyone have an idea why it would just all of a sudden stop working?

I’m on a mac, OSX 10.6.3, Dashboard 1.7.1

UPDATE

Uninstalling (with the uninstall tool in library - application support - datarobotics) and then reinstalling dashboard fixed whatever got broken. Dashboard came right back up and recognized my DroboFS normally as before.

Hello there,

I’m new here. I received my Drobe FS last friday and I am still busy with copying data on it using my slow 100MBit LAN (I will upgrade to Gigabit-LAN a little bit later).

There are several computers in my home with different OSs. I’m using Windows XP Pro, MacOS 10.5 (my old PowerMac G4 doesn’t support 10.6) and Debian Linux (Lenny / stable).

I’ve got the same problem mentioned in the subject of this thread. Exept this problem occurs only on my Windows XP - workstation. All machines reside in the same LAN-segment. My Drobo FS has fixed IPs in its LAN-configuration (my DHCP-Server assigning pseudo-static IPs by using DHCP and MAC-adresses isn’t setup yet).

Because I wanted to start copying data on my new Drobo FS, I used my Mac for initial setup, which had no problems discevering my Drobo FS using the MacOS X - version of Drobo Dashboard.

But it’s annoying to power on my old Mac each time I just want to get status - info using DashBoard, so I’m very interested in getting Drobo DashBoard on my Windows XP - workstaion to properly discover my Drobo FS as well. I already read that network-shares from Drobo FS report back a much to large amount of free capacity because of that “Thin Provisioning” - matter. But I have to check the real left free capacity quite regularly, because I often drive near the limit of the real maximum capacity of my Drobo FS.

Maybe it’s important to know that my XP-workstation has no problems using the shares provided by my Drobo FS. Right now I’m copying data on my Drobo using xp. There is no software-firewall on my XP-workstation. I already read the knowledgebase-article http://support.datarobotics.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/257/related/1/kw/dashboard%20windows%20discover/r_id/100004 and assume that there’s no problem in here.

In the past I had an issue with the iPhone - App called “Remote” which can be used to remotecontrol iTunes (even on Windows XP). This connection (based on Apples Bonjour as I know) doesn’t work either. That’s not so important for me, but using Drobo DashBoard is. But maybe it raises from the same reason as the new problem with the Drobo DashBoard.

So do you know any special software or technical circumstances under which properly discovering Drobo FSs in the LAN become impossible under Windows XP - OS ?

Please provide any (even really deep) technical information available. I work as a sysadmin and should understand even more complicated technical matters. I also setup an SSH-connection to my Drobo FS already and can login as root if it becomes necessary to debug something there. You could guide my the windows-registry as well.

Thanx in advance and regards from germany,
Hammi

Does name resolution work? In other words, can you access your Drobo FS via its name, or only by IP address?

Does your XP machine have multiple NICs?

Hi bhiga,

no, name resolution doesn’t work on the XP machine for the Drobo. I needed to append an appropriate line (“192.168.2.4 Drobo.local”) to the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts - file of the XP machine. But name resolution for internet sides just works fine. The LAN-config of the XP machine uses stardard-DHCP and gets its IP, default geteway and DNS-servers from my WAN-router (an AVM Fritzbox - a famous german brand for home-/soho - routers). The XP machine has only one NIC.

best regards,
Hammi

BTW : Is it possible the change the full qualified domain-name of the Drobo ? I would rather have my lastname between “Drobo” and “local” as this corresponds better to all the other hosts in my LAN.

Since you said your FS has static IPs assigned, is its name server set the same as your PC is getting?

It might not be related to your Dashboard issue, but I’m just trying to get all the connections connected.

Actually, since you have SSH on your FS, can your FS see your PC by name?

And finally… They are on the same subnet, yes?

Hello bhiga,

name servers on Drobo on on the XP machine are the same :

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\hammi>ipconfig /all

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname. . . . . . . . . . . . . : athlonxp
    Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . : mylastname.local
    Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unbekannt
    IP-Routing aktiviert. . . . . . . : Ja
    WINS-Proxy aktiviert. . . . . . . : Nein
    DNS-Suffixsuchliste . . . . . . . : mylastname.local

Ethernetadapter LAN-Verbindung:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
    Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter #2
    Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-1B-21-5F-B7-BD
    DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
    Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
    IP-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.25
    Subnetzmaske. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP-Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS-Server. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease erhalten. . . . . . . . . . : Mittwoch, 16. Juni 2010 07:03:44
    Lease läuft ab. . . . . . . . . . : Samstag, 26. Juni 2010 07:03:44

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\hammi>

Unfortunately the ifconfig-command seems the miss in the busybox-implementation of Drobo, so I can’t display Drobo’s LAN-config within the SSH-session. But it’s the same as the XP config exept the IP of course, which is 192.168.2.4 for my Drobo.

Name resolution within a Drobo-SSH-session just works fine :

hostname

Drobo

nslookup 192.168.2.25

Server: 192.168.2.1
Address 1: 192.168.2.1 fritz.box

Name: 192.168.2.25
Address 1: 192.168.2.25 athlonxp

nslookup athlonxp

Server: 192.168.2.1
Address 1: 192.168.2.1 fritz.box

Name: athlonxp
Address 1: 192.168.2.25 athlonxp

And of course both machines reside in the same subnet. :wink:

best regards,
Hammi

Strange… everything looks correct as far as I can tell.

Hopefully support can shed more light on the subject.

Hello again,

really no idea, what could cause the problem of not being able to discover my Drobs FS with my XP workstation ?

regards,
Hammi

Just to update: After restarting the Drobo and the DroboShare, everything went back to normal1