Drobo

Dashboard does not recognize Drobo S (USB 3.0)

I upgraded my Mac to OS X Lion only to find my eSATA card no longer functioned correctly. I could not find drivers that did not cause issues, so yesterday and went and bought a new Drobo S with USB 3.0 (I had a older Drobo S with only USB 2.0 before).

So right now my Drobo S is recognized by my computer and I can successful access all my data. The throughput is a good 97MB/s write and 93MB/s read, which is quite a bit faster than the throughput I had over eSATA on my older unit.

So in terms of using the unit, everything works great.

Now the issue I have the Drobo S is not recognized in Dashboard. This copy of Dashboard recognizes my old Drobo S over eSATA, USB 2.0, and FW800, but my new unit is not recognized. Since it doesn’t show up in Dashboard, I can’t shut it own nor can I perform updates and look at space remaining etc.

This is a problem.

The USB 3.0 card I use is the Highpoint RocketU Quad, which emulates a SCSI RAID adapter, so the Drobo S is current recognized as a SCSI device.

What is a recommened course of action I can take? I’m not going back to eSATA as that doesn’t work nor am I using FW800 since I upgraded to an otherwise exact same model for USB 3.0 alone.

Thanks!

[quote=“ran, post:1, topic:7095”]
The USB 3.0 card I use is the Highpoint RocketU Quad, which emulates a SCSI RAID adapter, so the Drobo S is current recognized as a SCSI device.[/quote]
That would be the problem. The card isn’t providing a “direct” USB path to the Drobo, so whatever “extra” stuff that Drobo Dashboard talks to the Drobo with is probably being filtered out by the controller card because the controller says “I don’t know this language - I’m going to ignore it.”

If the RocketU card has a “dumb”/direct firmware/BIOS that makes it look like 4 separate USB 3 controllers or even one hubbed USB 3 controller, then Drobo Dashboard should see it.

Otherwise, your recourse (aside from switching over to FW or USB 2 for maintenance) is to get a “dumber” USB 3.0 controller.

are you on a mac? (googling that card seems to be very heavy on its mac support - and i think thats also why it pretends to be scsi - becaus ei dont thiknt here are actually USB 3 drivers for macs yet?)

if im correct then you are stuck - the card and drivers you have arent proper USB3 - its an HBA which happens to supports USB mass storage drivers, and uses the usb ports, but isnt actually a “USB” card[hr]
haha sorry i just read the first line of yours post about upgrading OSX!!!

so yes - what you have isnt a true USB card - its a HBA - it even syas it only supports hard disks and ssds, which means it wont support all the USB functions.

i dont know if you can get USB 3 cards for macs yet (im a pc guy) but my mac mate seems to think not

Ahh, Chris is right (again, LOL)… Seems Lacie has a USB 3 driver, but it’s ONLY for their hardware and devices (so nowhere near “standard” by any means).

That being the case, I’d leave your setup as-is, and just move the Drobo to a USB 2.0 port when you want to do management on it.

Unfortunately this means the only feedback you’ll normally see from the unit is via its lights, so be sure to check on the capacity and status from time to time. If it’s in a remote location I recommend putting a network camera on it.

yeah, sucks to be a mac user :stuck_out_tongue:

hehe :wink:

Прекрасные технологии по уходу за собой, как правильно делать макияж вы узнаете на нашей страничке в интернете и цистит лечение в домашних условиях

I think with the 100MB/s speeds on USB 3.0 (in OS X) I am quite satisfied with the performance despite the drawbacks of not being able to use Drobo Dashboard. This unit is attached to my computer locally, so I can just read the LEDs are mentioned.

And yes it’s real USB 3.0; it’s just the adapter is designed for USB 3.0 RAID.

Thanks for answering my question. I think I will use Firewire when I need to manage this unit via Dashboard.

could you plug a USB3 scanner into it?

or a camera?

or anything which isnt USB mass storage?

looking at the product details it does only support SSD/HDD

It’s a USB 3.0 adapter designed for storage use much like the old SCSI RAID adapters, versus the general-purpose SCSI adapters that supported scanners and other SCSI peripherals.

kinda defeats the UNIVERSAL in the Universal Serial Bus :smiley:

Yah, builders of Hackintoshes have discovered that OS X doesn’t have USB 3.0 drivers in it, so things plugged into USB 3.0 ports on mainboards running OS X typically don’t auto-detect. A few do if they provide their own drivers for OS X. Or so says my friend about his newly-constructed Hackintosh.

The device in question in this thread must amount to a protocol converter that makes a USB 3.0 device look like a mass-storage device via eSATA or something similar, to get it to work under OS X. No wonder Dashboard can’t navigate through that thing.

exactly my point
the fact its describe an HBA is the dead giveaway :smiley:

I have a hackintosh with working USB 3.0 - use it to connect my Drobo S. There are kexts out there (Mac driver equivalent) that make the Lacie drivers universal.

In your configuration, the only safe way to unmount the volumes and shut down the DroboS is to first shut down the computer, wait for the DroboS to go to standby and then flip the switch to shut it off. NEVER eject a Drobo’s volume(s) as this will cause file system corruption.

In your configuration, the only safe way to unmount the volumes and shut down the DroboS is to first shut down the computer, wait for the DroboS to go to standby and then flip the switch to shut it off. NEVER eject a Drobo’s volume(s) as this will cause file system corruption on the volume.

Thanks for all your answers. I have realized that the only way I can make the Drobo shut off is the turn off my computer first (which I never do). So far, other than Dashboard, everything works fine. I love the speeds I’m getting, so I can live with the drawbacks.

glad to hear its working for you

hopefully there will be full mac drivers soon for usb 3 :D[hr]
glad to hear its working for you

hopefully there will be full mac drivers soon for usb 3 :smiley: