Drobo

Dashboard 1.6.6?

The RSS feed located at http://www.drobo.com/Support/feed/ states that 1.6.6 is out. Can’t find it anywhere on the site however (can find 1.6.1, which is the current version). “Check for Updates” from the Dashboard itself also states that no new updates are available.

Someone made a “woops” I presume? :wink:

It’s listed on the website.

Ah shoot, when I checked it wasn’t (yet). Looks like I was faster than the tubes of the interwebz :slight_smile:

By website, you mean: http://www.drobo.com/support/updates/dashboard/

or is it posted in the support tab (I don’t see it there…)

Also, where are the release notes?

-Dean

1.6.6 Support for DroboElite and Drobo S…

What about fix for the serious problems we had in 1.6.1?
had to downgrade to 1.5.1 and all working fine.

@Satyrica when i say website I mean http://www.drobo.com/support/updates.php

Release notes are in the same place.

Yes 1.6.6 fixes the issues that were experienced in 1.6.1

I installed 1.6.6 last night, and only had time to do very limited testing.

I installed it as a standard (non-Admin) user (using the equivalent of User Account Control on Snow Leopard), and when it tried to launch Drobo Dashboard, I got a Black screen of death.

I rebooted into 64-bit mode, and it seemed to come up OK, but it never seemed to find the DroboPro.

I then booted normally (32-bit), and everything seemed to be OK. I fired up two instances of ChronoSync, one to the DroboPro and one to a V2 connected via Firewire, plus a version of CrashPlan backing up over the internet to my Mac Mini (still on DD 1.6.1) and a V1 Drobo.

I was pleased to see that the infamous DDserviced was now running at around 3-4% CPU – a delightful change.

I’ll try some more tests tonight, including 64-bit mode.

Hmm, I read the thread on the 1.6.1 problems (on Mac) with great interest (I’m on MS Win XP myself and haven’t used my Drobo v2 for a while). I just read through the relnotes for 1.6.6 and interestingly enough it doesn’t mention a word about fixing these problems with CPU hogging Macs (some Macs at least).

I think the DRI relnotes are really good, detailed and precise, in the “Known Issues” section – quite professional. But lacking in the “Fixed” ditto. “Key Highlights”…?? How about documenting what’s been fixed in the new FW releases better than that? Or is it a bad thing to admit there were a bunch of bugs you found and fixed for each release? In that case, you really still do have a QA culture problem, that’s for sure. God knows there’s been a whole bunch of bugs during 2009 hitting many of your customers. I had serious problems before 1.3.1 came out, and that was on USB2.

/M

I decided to install 1.6.6 on my XP (office) machine. Previous versions have been incompatible with some of my company’s software, for reasons that aren’t clear, and I haven’t had time to resolve.

The first problem I noticed was that the download using IE8 was suspiciously fast – 275KB in one second. After downloading it, Windows complained that the file wasn’t signed, then said that the installer was not a valid windows EXE. I tried that three times, with the same result each time.

Then I tried downloading the file using Safari on XP. Now the download is a much more reasonable 16.7 MB, but the installer still isn’t signed – an unforgivable sin in this day and age of malware, IMHO.

Because my DroboPro is formatted for the Mac and I don’t intend to connect it to XP, I skipped the step that installs the Microsoft iSCSI initiator. So I won’t be able to comment on that.

Well, nuts. The same thing happens as before – Drobo Dashboard fails silently, never comes up, and files an error in the application error log:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘System.Runtime.Remoting.Identity’ threw an exception. —> System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Provider type not defined.

at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException.ThrowCryptogaphicException(Int32 hr)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils._AcquireCSP(CspParameters param, SafeProvHandle& hProv)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.AcquireProvHandle(CspParameters parameters)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.get_StaticProvHandle()
at System.Security.Cryptography.RNGCryptoServiceProvider…ctor(CspParameters cspParams)
at System.Security.Cryptography.RNGCryptoServiceProvider…ctor()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Identity…cctor()
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Identity.RaceSetTransparentProxy(Object tpObj)
at System.MarshalByRefObject.__RaceSetServerIdentity(ServerIdentity id)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.IdentityHolder.FindOrCreateServerIdentity(MarshalByRefObject obj, String objURI, Int32 flags)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.GetOrCreateIdentity(MarshalByRefObject Obj, String ObjURI)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.MarshalInternal(MarshalByRefObject Obj, String ObjURI, Type RequestedType, Boolean updateChannelData)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.MarshalInternal(MarshalByRefObject Obj, String ObjURI, Type RequestedType)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.Marshal(MarshalByRefObject Obj, String URI)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
at main(String[] args)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Now, I wonder why Drobo Dashboard is mucking around with cryptography, except perhaps to encrypt the log files?

I installed 1.6.6 on my Mac Mini, upgrading from 1.5.1. The Knowledge Base article, What is the proper way to uninstall and re-install Drobo Dashboard on my mac was completely unhelpful, and erroneous, at least with respect to 1.6.6.

The instructions for version 1.5.1 and earlier refer to an “uninstall” option that is one screen past the License Agreement, yet in fact there is no such prompt or option, at least with 1.6.6.

I ended up simply installing the newer version on top of the older version, and hoping that it works. it certainly ought to – that’s what any installer ought to do, and if it needs to do some clean up, that ought not to be the user’s problem.

Blame it on the Mac OS (Snow Leopard 10.6.2) if you will, but the install and uninstall process is MUCH simpler on Windows, and DRI would be well advised to simplify their procedures for the Mac. Or at the very least test them to ensure that they are accurate.

How much longer should we put up with abysmal QA on these products, before they fire the VP of Engineering?

[quote=“Suite_B, post:10, topic:793”]… the install and uninstall process is MUCH simpler on Windows, and DRI would be well advised to simplify their procedures for the Mac. Or at the very least test them to ensure that they are accurate.[/quote]Wasn’t this discussed at the “old” forum once? I remember suggestions to having a regular .app which you can drag in your applications folder and/or a system preferences panel. Above that a status icon in the top bar would be neat (and the way to do it) instead of that app icon in the dock as it is right now.

Just installed 1.6.6 on my Mac Mini. I first uninstalled 1.5.1 then installed 1.6.6. No problems so far.

To uninstall 1.5.1 you need to run the 1.5.1 installer and select the uninstall option. The knowledge base article is not completely clear on this as most people will be looking for the uninstall option in the 1.6.6 installer - and as Suite B says it is not present int he 1.6.6 installer.

Actually in OS X the uninstaller for 1.6.6 is present. First log in with an admin account (user account with admin priveleges).

Just go to BootVolume—>Library—>Application Support—>Data Robotics—>Drobo Dashboard.

Then double-click the Drobo_uninstall.app; enter you administrative password and choose uninstall.

When trying to uninstall 1.5.1 i’m pretty sure that directory does not exist - only appears from 1.6.0 onwards.

[font=Courier][size=large][color=#C71585]Ola People
[/color][/size][/font]

I’m a newbie here to this Drobo forum. Brand new to my Drobo and have just switched from Pc to Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

Having just fired up my new Drobo 2 nights ago, I proceeded to do the updates. On the Drobo site there is the update for Drobo Dashboard. It doesn’t say which model it’s for, so I presume it can be used on a DroboV2. This update being 1.6.6. First I made sure I downloaded the mac version before anyone asks the obvious.(.dmg). I then read the release notes that came with it. Also read hot to do a manual update. And this is where it goes wrong for me.
First…I’ll try to do this in quotes from the pdf on Instructions for a manaul Dashboard update.

I don’t get no .tdz file. I’m looking at a .dmg file. And once I’ve navigated to the file in Finder, the file is greyed out. The folders are bold and can be selected, but no files (any files). I’m now wondering if it’s some security measure. I’m an administrator, I just checked. So I can’t select the .dmg install 1.6.6 dashboard update.
So I come out of that procedure and directly click the .dmg 1.6.6. dashboard file to install. Looks good until I get window message installer needs “null” disc. What on earth is a “null” disc?
I put the original software disc in from Drobo, but that does nothing to help with the install of 1.6.6.
I’m at a loss here.

[font=Trebuchet MS][size=large][color=#1E90FF]Somone help me out here please.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Courier][size=large][color=#32CD32]mutley[/color][/size][/font]

There are two components.

One is the Drobo Dashboard. This is the software that runs on your Mac. The installer is a .dmg file.

The other is firmware for the Drobo. This is the software that runs on the Drobo unit itself. Generally you don’t need to manually download and install this one - just clicking the Update button from the Drobo Dashboard software will take care of this for you.

I’m uncertain what the “null disc” message is about. When installing the Drobo Dashboard software downloaded from the Drobo Support website you will not need to insert the original CD that came with your Drobo - the download contains all the files it needs.
I would suggest downloading the .dmg file again just to make sure there is not a problem with the downloaded file. It should be just over 10 MB in size.

[font=Courier][size=large][color=#006400]Ola ajspencer[/color][/size][/font]

I was just replying on a post that you had replied on about the mount/unmount of Drobo, and going to post a link here and ask you to have a look for me.

[font=Impact][size=medium][color=#1E90FF]But Man, you too FAST[/color][/size][/font]
You’ve already been here!

So anyway. Right, so clicking the “update button” in dashboard is for the firmware for the Drobo unit. Right, got that.
And the update for the Dashboard is still the problem. I’ve just checked the size I’ve got for the .dmg file, that being just over 10, 10.9 it states for me, like you said. Interesting, .dmg is same as .exe then for PC? [color=#800000](all mac tips/note welcomed)[/color]
Just clarify things for here, the 1.6.6 dashboard update can be for Drobo v2?
And apparently working with Snow Leopard?

I’ve downloaded this twice now, so I’m gonna post this, restart mac and try to install again. I’ll update post in 5 mins.

[font=Impact][size=large][color=#32CD32]mutley[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Trebuchet MS][size=large][color=#800000]Ok Boppers[/color][/size][/font]

Long 5 mins.
Don’t ask me why, but we’ve got a winner!

Downloaded again the .dmg from Drobo site. Restarted mac and this time it works. Anyone out there know why? Could it have been where I originally d/loaded it to. I seem to remember d/loading it to my other Nas server at first. And I think I got a popup saying it can’t be installed from there. So I moved it to somewhere onto mac, but that didn’t work then either. Could it have been the permissions on the file because of where I d/loaded to in the first place? Anyone got an opinion on that?

Ok folks, that’s it from me today I think. But thanks to those that replied to my posts.

[font=Trebuchet MS][size=large][color=#98FB98][u]mutley[/color][/size][/font][/u]

Could be that you opened the .dmg off your NAS, then as you said you moved the file elsewhere. The mounted disk image would have spat an error if you moved its dmg file while in was in use.

In OS X you should unmount a disk image when you have finished with it. From the finder you can just click the little eject icon and it will unmount. Then you can move its .dmg file.

[size=large][color=#4682B4]Hi ajspencer[/color][/size]

How’s it going? I feel smashed to pieces again. First before I forget, is a .dmg file a disk image? I’m confused there. I’ve seen the eject button for it, but just to clarify for me please does .dmg=disk image when clicked open? (might sound silly, but my brains gone south on me again tonight. Been banging away for a week solid).

Yeah I probably did open the .dmg file on my server and then maybe tried to move it. So I guess that could’ve been it. Not 100% sure I did that, but could’ve.

Also, thanks for answering my questions, I really appreciate it.

[font=Verdana][size=large][color=#32CD32]mutley[/color][/size][/font]